[SOLVED] Exclusive offline app: without mobile-server

Could the media bundling approach above work without ‘server=localhost’ still? So that an app can still be bundled with it’s media resources and also connect to a central server when a wifi connection is available for resyncing?

This is how Meteor mobile apps actually work. They setup a local host server inside the app and try to sync it with the central server once a connection can be established.

1 Like

Great!
How about a case where I need the user to download/sync up to a gig of video/audio media in order for the app to be fully functional offline? It sounds like that would still be possible and that is what I am hoping. Would it simply be a matter of whatever the size limit is with the app stores themselves then? Thank you for the feedback!

You could just download these assets via a REST API call (or a simple HTTP GET) and then store them on the device via cordova-plugin-file:

https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/9.x/reference/cordova-plugin-file/index.html#page-toc-source

Haven’t tried this approach, though, since I never needed that much of local data.

1 Like