State of Javascript 2019 on Meteor

That is best guide .
Tank you

I am a fan of your Meteor + Apollo series. More of this pleaseā€¦thanks

1 Like

Your content is great. If you would create a course on Build a SaaS with Meteor, I would be the first to sign up.

4 Likes

I believe right now people would really love to see how to Meteor can be used with Apollo, React and Typescript.

6 Likes

In 0.5 days, Meteor was briefly advertised as ā€œthe .NET of Javascriptā€. Itā€™s a good selling point that resonates with people, because itā€™s needed. The problem is that in making that kind of claim is that it requires taking a stance on the UI layer.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s already completely possible. There are actually multiple ways to integrate Apollo, some that leverage DDP, some that bypass it completely. React has been supported for ages, and Typescript is a core feature as of 1.8.2 - and thatā€™s pretty dope.

1 Like

So excited for this, I would love a deep dive into Meteor + Apollo

2 Likes

I already use Meteor + Apollo = best of both worlds with no DDP; just GraphQL subscriptions.

1 Like

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I discovered Meteor about 6 months ago and used it to make my new startup app. I have a lot of experience, 25+ years, and have done many things. Its a great framework! Love the built in pub subscribe, the integration with react, and the simplicity of getting stuff done. The Galaxy hosting service also impressed me. I donā€™t have to write all the docker containers and deployment stuff. How awesome is that? I would really love to see this framework make a comeback because it is truly great.

Where the framework is now publicly appears to be low. The tech is awesome. Now, what this group chooses to do going forward will decide the future!

Doron

9 Likes

Hi @stolinski I got started with Meteor a couple of years ago and used your tutorials, they were great! Iā€™ve built a couple apps now. A year ago I started working on a Meteor + Vue app and itā€™s been a great combination. This year I think weā€™ll get Vue to become a full 1st class citizen for Meteor. I also used your Vue tutorials when I got started with Vue and had been hoping you might one day tie the two together to make it easier for many new developers to get started. Apollo, TS, & SSR are cool, but I think the thing that would generate the most views is still the basic Meteor value proposition, which is an amazing app with minimal effort. Iā€™d love to collaborate to show the highlights of the Meteor + Vue combo & why I think the world will love is to much when they can see it in action! I choose Vue over React, so Iā€™d be happy to share why :+1:

That is really exciting to hear! Your Full-stack GraphQL with Apollo, Meteor & Reactā€¬ course was great. Maybe a refresh of it w/ hooks? Canā€™t imagine trying to create up-to-date content with everything changing so quicklyā€¦

2 Likes

I suggest focusing mainly on approaches that could last for some years and get adopted by strong companies (which has alot of money like Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Google) and which are attractive to new start ups.

Blaze is introduced but rarely used and Iron Router is deprecated and so on. Hundreds of tools introduced in different web development tutorials no longer exist! It is sad reality that instead of using the tools to get the job done as fast as possible, teams are spending time switching from tool to other going half way in each.
I am interested to see tutorials on using Meteor with IoTs and the best practice to use Python libraries with a web application built with Metoer.

I wish that the next tutorials will build a web application that use minimal resources, which is secure and production ready. Then tutorial about maintaining the website, adding Google services to it and how to perform analytics on the site. Also to introduce a solid IDE packages to speed development and make the development less prone to errors.

Supporting your course with a website for Meteor developers with collective templates, snippets, examples, apps boiler plates may really help alot in speeding the process of development and write better code.

2 Likes

In my opinion, we have not mentioned that tools are tools.
Unfortunately, we spend our time developing tools . And weā€™re plunged into the world of tools.
And We have forgotten that the tool is for use only.
In other words, we have abandoned the goal and dealt with the tools.
We only need to develop tools when we feel the need.

2 Likes

Friends, I havenā€™t gotten full confidence in the meteor yet.
Please someone give me hope.

This survey wasnā€™t exactly comparing apples-to-apples, so donā€™t get too anxious over it. These arenā€™t necessarily mutually-exclusive technologies. We were able to pull an entire express server into our meteor app; and you can too. And Iā€™d bet that next, nuxt, gatsby and others could all be integrated also. The work that MDG has done supporting React, JsonRoutes, Apolloā€¦ were all keeping in trends with the javascript ecosystem, and building infrastructure to support all of these. JsonRoutes, for example, is a direct refactor predecessor before pulling in express. $0.02

3 Likes

Which one ???
1- Meteor + Apollo + Front End (React, Vueā€¦)
2- Apollo Server (Express) + Front End (React, Vueā€¦)

Why we donā€™t use Apollo Server directly with front-end?

Meteor + Apollo Server (Express) with a separate React client app.

1 Like

Nope. Meteor with Vue.js or React!

2 Likes

Actually, I didnā€™t know this :upside_down_face: Where can I find out more about it?

2 Likes
1 Like