State of Meteor?

I remember how impressed I (and the entire room) was at Meteor night when you presented it. It would benefit Meteor to have awesome use-cases like these being published in 2019. Glad to see it’s still going well for you guys!

1 Like

Thank you, @seba! You brought back some really nice memories. Our first time in SF, and obviously first time at the Meteor headquarters. Had a great time afterwards too.

Right now we are up to the neck into a major upgrade, after which I should come forward with something public, including blog posts. It’s gotta be.

5 Likes

What type of server backend are you using?

We have an app (online school for kids) with personal cabinet, realtime chat, video chat, schedule’s related features, reports, internal tasks tracker etc. It was developed by 2 devs in ~14 months. 8 of them in production.

100CCU on 2 x 10$ DO droplets with ~5% CPU load and 250-300mb RAM load each.

I wrote an article about our project on habr (in russian).

In short - its amazing tool for us :rocket:. We have a high speed development, a short release cycle.

Sorry for my bad english :blush:

6 Likes

That’s very true and definitely a point of consideration. The one thing that swings it, with AWS being the proprietor, is that we can rely on them not running into financial trouble and abandoning these tools (hopefully that’s not a misguided expectation on my part!)

1 Like

You must’ve done your calculations and accepted the risks, I’m sure. But I, for one, cannot understand a cloud based business that doesn’t choose to have the freedom to be on any platform it wants, whenever it wants.

Personally, I believe that the relatively small DevOps investment in making that happen is more than paid off by the freedom it offers. And the DevOps stuff needed for Node.js and / or Meteor is ridiculously simple.

Case in point. A large client wants an ‘on-premise’ type of installation, dues to internal data protection policies. So they are ready to pay you top dollar to deploy in their own private cloud. Which is on SoftLayer…

Another case. You have a chance at an early exit, because a larger player wants your stuff, and they’re happy to integrate it with their existing software. But said acquirer is on Azure. And that might limit your hand in the negotiation, because, well, they need to spend resources on converting your software.

These being said, good luck and let us know, at least briefly, how did the experience compare to that of developing your previous apps.

2 Likes

We’ve been using Meteor since v1 and have two production apps running for a couple of years now. Very solid and reliable. I was new to web dev when I started (coming from games) and I have to say that between Meteor itself being pretty sweet and the help and advice from all of you on this forum that it’s been a great experience. Obviously I’d change a few things if I started again but Meteor wouldn’t be one of them.
Here’s hoping that MDG find time to invest in it again, but failing that I feel pretty secure with the commitment from Lucas & Qualia. I couldn’t think of anyone better :smile:

4 Likes

We use Meteor to create online social simulations which are technically real-time multiplayer (10-20) browser games. As the only programmer in a team, I can’t imagine our work without it. We will definitely use Meteor in the foreseeable future, no matter how “dead” or “alive” it will be, because in its current state it already fits our needs perfectly.

6 Likes

We make online simulations too! But we simulate student groups running companies in competition against each other. We have hundreds of students using the service daily without any issues, and developing with Meteor has never been better IMO.

5 Likes

@jorgeer I would like to check your app. Mind sharing a link to it?

https://hubro.education/

Unfortunately it is designed and licenced for educational institutions and doesn’t have a single player option yet :frowning: .

3 Likes

It is really interesting to see lots of educational / classroom software written in Meteor. I think Meteor has the perfect value proposition for the realtime requirements of classroom interactions.

Are you using it as part of your research? If so, are there already publications?

No, this is a commercial application which we sell to high schools and colleges/universities that teach business courses. I’ve been the principal developer since the start and we have gradually added a couple more engineers on the team. For such a complex application is is amazing what we have been able to accomplish with so few developers, and it has a lot to do with Meteor. We crank out features like there is no tomorrow, which is so easy in Meteor.

While we are not yet up in the thousands of concurrent users, I am quite confident we can handle it once the time comes.

4 Likes

We have been using MeteorJS for over 3 years now. We currently have 7 website from our business running through meteor and it has worked flawlessly. Our biggest website manages around 50,000 concurrent users and we get to some points where this even gets higher. I have worked with Meteor for a very long time and its thanks to this that are company is where it is right now.

15 Likes

50k ccu - fantastic! Could you please tell us a bit more about the server configuration – how many, what size, etc., and the web host?

3 Likes

wow, 50k is huge number.

2 Likes

Currently we are using Meteor Galaxy for this. Even though its a little bit expensive over other solutions like Digital Ocean, it takes form our hands the whole devops tasks. We currently have 3 double containers (2GB RAM, 2.0 ECU) and this handles everything perfectly, we are even hitting only 60% of the CPU and 75% of RAM.

We are looking for a devOps so we want to change to a more personalized server configuration made with nginx and digitalocean (this way we can reduce our costs for more than half of the price).

5 Likes

50K ccu is a huge thumbs-up for Meteor and Galaxy!

2 Likes

Coygo (www.coygo.app) is built w/Meteor, Vue and meteor-desktop to bundle an Electron-based desktop client from the same codebase as our website.

We’re hosted on AWS using Fargate for a managed docker container service without any complaints so far, but our user count isn’t anything crazy. Also since we’re a desktop application, we offload almost all of the work to the user’s machine when possible so our server’s load is extremely light and used mostly just for authentication, logging and analytics. Coygo is for cryptocurrency traders and requires users to enter their exchange account API keys, so we kept it as a desktop application so that their API keys never have to leave their machine and all trades can be executed from their machine instead of our servers, for security reasons.

Meteor has definitely dropped in popularity over the years, but it’s still a great option for smaller dev teams. It’s extremely stable, you know what you’re getting and it doesn’t really need lots of updates/changes anymore. Hosting is a bit of a pain but once you get it set up you shouldn’t have to mess with it too much again. The built-in user system (accounts-password), the zero-config build tool, ValidatedMethods for RPC communication, and reactive pub/sub are still great and work well as long as you’re careful about how much reactive data you publish. Meteor + Vue remains my favorite stack.

5 Likes

Wow. ~94kb(2GB* 3 * 0.7/50k ccu) RAM per user, fantastic :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Do you use subscription?

3 Likes