Try Scalingo for Hosting

Hello,
seems nice hosting solution.
Regarding that 30day period - 1 app so if I have my functionality split to few apps, I would need paid solution from start?
What is the story with CPU there, I am kinda used to core numbers from Digital Ocean.
So priority sounds kinda hard to evaluate without testing it.

Well, they’re using git as base for your deployment, so if by that, you mean that you would need multiple git repository, then yes (but they’ll have to confirm on this).

As for you’re request on CPU, i’d be interested to know that answer too, @soulou ?

I did my research into best DB for my usecase and Neo4j is winning.
Any plan on adding it too? :smiley:

I’d love to hear a bit about what makes this job tough. Modulus has simple-looking autoscale rules based on CPU and RAM usage, but there probably are some complications hidden from us, end-users.

@aedm we could certainly do something with CPU and memory data. However, what’s with the database? Background tasks? Some stuff would not scale linearly. So for the moment we consider auto-scaling as a R&D project and we don’t want to give users a false impression on magic things which would not really gives solution to their problems (lots of traffic suddenly appear, what’s the right parameters for number of containers, sizes of containers, size of databases?).

In practice, sudden traffic spikes are really rare and most of the time developers know the software they are writing and knows better how to optimize it and how to handle moderate increase in traffic.

2 Likes

What mongodb version you have? It would be nice to be able to hook up RocksDB to it!

They’re using the 2.6.10 version right now, but there was a news on their blog 2 months ago saying that they are working on upgrading it to the 3.0 and 3.2 versions and that it should be available soon now. ( @yannski, @soulou, any news on that ? )

1 Like

Hi Shad,

Ee’ve haven’t forgotten Mongo but that’s true we had other priorities. MongoDB 3.0 will be live next month, and you’ll be able to upgrade your instance from your database dashboard.

1 Like

How about support for RethinkDB

Wow this is neat. Nice job!

I think competition between Galaxy and other services is really important. It will bring out the best in all of them.

@shad MongoDB 3.0 and 3.2 are now available on the platform.

We just released a blog post about that http://blog.scalingo.com/post/144602357218/mongo-32-is-now-available-wiredtiger-and

Happy upgrading.

1 Like

I’d like to sing some praises to Scalingo here :slight_smile:
I’ve chosen them over galaxy for several reasons:

1. Galaxy didn’t offer european servers by that time. Scalingo hosts in France. (now Galaxy offers aws servers in Ireland in spite of many requests in favor of Frankfurt :disappointed:)
  2. Scalingo is much cheaper: 14eur per month vs 28 usd on Galaxy.
  3. Scalingo offers maintained Mongo instance at very low cost! 512mb - for free! 5gb - 14eur! Compose.io is nowhere near those offers. (btw, I couldn’t find any other Europe-based mongo hosting services with decent pricing)

I’ve been running the beta of my app with them since May. And is very happy with the service.

Updating your production app is as easy as Git push, after you’ve spent some time with initial deployment.
Support is outstanding - they helped me resolve countless deployment issues I was having as a noob in deployment. They even helped me setup free ssl certificate and resolve many many accompanying issues I was having.
And all that - free of charge! (they offer free trial period for the first 30 days)

I highly, highly recommend those guys!

4 Likes

Btw they’ve added one-click solution for Let’s Encrypt SSL since Christmas’16

At Compose you get a Mongo Replica Set. It’s a completely different ballgame.
mLab providers free 512mb plans in Ireland for development, no oplog and don’t use for production.

Scalingo

Compose

14.4 vs 133(+30 to bring it to 5gb storage)

You really think price diff is justified?

Btw, I think using ancient mmapv1 engine by default and charging extra for modern wiredTiger (Compose’s terms) - is just a RIP-OFF

1 Like

You’re comparing 5gb pricing vs 1gb pricing. Lets do an honest comparison:

Compose
4 GB $85.00 / mo

Scalingo
4 GB . 57.60 € / month (60 USD)

But again, at Compose you get a full Replica Set and daily backups. I happily pay 25usd more for that.

Wrong. You are not reading carefully

Scaling:
1gb ram, 5gb storage = $14.4

Compose:
1,25gb ram, 5gb storage = $163

11 times the difference!

ps, on next tier plan (2gb ram, 10gb storage = $29) Scalingo provides automated daily backups

Ok I see it now. Very unclear pricing at Scalingo! Calling the plan 1GB while this revers to memory, not disk space. Right!

However, I still don’t see any info at Scalingo about which engine they use and whether you get a replica set. For production, you do need a replica set.

They use WiredTiger. yep

I contacted them. Scalingo uses single-node WiredTiger, but replica sets are coming later this year.

Starting from Mongo 3.0 we use WiredTiger by default. We support the
following versions : 2.6, 3.0 and 3.2.

At the moment we have just one zone in Paris. And we only do single node
deployment. Multi-nodes deployment are planned for this year.

Until then, Compose/mLab sounds to me the better option for production.