Try Scalingo for Hosting

Wow this is neat. Nice job!

I think competition between Galaxy and other services is really important. It will bring out the best in all of them.

@shad MongoDB 3.0 and 3.2 are now available on the platform.

We just released a blog post about that http://blog.scalingo.com/post/144602357218/mongo-32-is-now-available-wiredtiger-and

Happy upgrading.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to sing some praises to Scalingo here :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve chosen them over galaxy for several reasons:

1. Galaxy didnā€™t offer european servers by that time. Scalingo hosts in France. (now Galaxy offers aws servers in Ireland in spite of many requests in favor of Frankfurt :disappointed:)
  2. Scalingo is much cheaper: 14eur per month vs 28 usd on Galaxy.
  3. Scalingo offers maintained Mongo instance at very low cost! 512mb - for free! 5gb - 14eur! Compose.io is nowhere near those offers. (btw, I couldnā€™t find any other Europe-based mongo hosting services with decent pricing)

Iā€™ve been running the beta of my app with them since May. And is very happy with the service.

Updating your production app is as easy as Git push, after youā€™ve spent some time with initial deployment.
Support is outstanding - they helped me resolve countless deployment issues I was having as a noob in deployment. They even helped me setup free ssl certificate and resolve many many accompanying issues I was having.
And all that - free of charge! (they offer free trial period for the first 30 days)

I highly, highly recommend those guys!

4 Likes

Btw theyā€™ve added one-click solution for Letā€™s Encrypt SSL since Christmasā€™16

At Compose you get a Mongo Replica Set. Itā€™s a completely different ballgame.
mLab providers free 512mb plans in Ireland for development, no oplog and donā€™t use for production.

Scalingo

Compose

14.4 vs 133(+30 to bring it to 5gb storage)

You really think price diff is justified?

Btw, I think using ancient mmapv1 engine by default and charging extra for modern wiredTiger (Composeā€™s terms) - is just a RIP-OFF

1 Like

Youā€™re comparing 5gb pricing vs 1gb pricing. Lets do an honest comparison:

Compose
4 GB $85.00 / mo

Scalingo
4 GB . 57.60 ā‚¬ / month (60 USD)

But again, at Compose you get a full Replica Set and daily backups. I happily pay 25usd more for that.

Wrong. You are not reading carefully

Scaling:
1gb ram, 5gb storage = $14.4

Compose:
1,25gb ram, 5gb storage = $163

11 times the difference!

ps, on next tier plan (2gb ram, 10gb storage = $29) Scalingo provides automated daily backups

Ok I see it now. Very unclear pricing at Scalingo! Calling the plan 1GB while this revers to memory, not disk space. Right!

However, I still donā€™t see any info at Scalingo about which engine they use and whether you get a replica set. For production, you do need a replica set.

They use WiredTiger. yep

I contacted them. Scalingo uses single-node WiredTiger, but replica sets are coming later this year.

Starting from Mongo 3.0 we use WiredTiger by default. We support the
following versions : 2.6, 3.0 and 3.2.

At the moment we have just one zone in Paris. And we only do single node
deployment. Multi-nodes deployment are planned for this year.

Until then, Compose/mLab sounds to me the better option for production.