Using Redux with Meteor?

I’m also really confused as to how Redux might work in a Meteor application.

For the sake of learning, here’s a branch I made from @SkinnyGeek1010 's Redux example. ( thanks skinnygeek). This branch uses only Meteor Methods and not pub/sub. One thing I noticed is you can have optimistic UI updates without Minimongo, example here. On an update event, let the reducer set the store as soon as an action happened, and also call the method. If the method returns an error the change will be reverted.

Is this approach manually doing some of the heavy lifting that Minimongo/Tracker provides out of the box?

One other aspect I’m confused about using Redux is the connect function provided by the optional add-on package called React-Redux. Checking out the source code it seems like the connect function’s main purpose is to diff a component’s current state with the new incoming state, and only render if necessary. This sounds similar to descriptions of Blaze functionality, is it ?
Without using the optional React-Redux library what happens? ( I wanted to try this as well in the example branch ).