Velocity is the official test runner of Meteor. What does that mean exactly?

I would love it if Velocity would ship out of the box with all of the example apps, as it would prioritize the developer experience with Velocity.

Tried to set-up Velocity yesterday ā€“ and finally gave up. In principle, it worked, but it did not accept any of my ES6 classes. Seems as if it ignored my package dependencies. Also, I did not get my package tests to show up in the Velocity console. The documentation only refers to a command line mode. When I tried this command line, it just did not show anything. No error message, no progress.

My personal conclusion was: Seems to be a very nice package, but really lacks good documentation. If the goal is to sell the testing book - well, having such a scarce documentation might be a valid choice. But if the Velocity team wanted to gain more attraction for the framework, they should add a bit more sample code and tutorial stuff.

1 Like

@waldgeist Were you using the velocity CLI tool? Did you install it with the correct permissions (e.g. if you installed it with sudo, but tried to run the tool without sudo, youā€™d experience the case where nothing happens).

The testing book itself sucks. A lot. Do not buy it, itā€™s tantamount to throwing your money away. I still do not understand how anyone thinks itā€™s OK to advertise it so much when the book itself has only a few chapters that cover the absolute basics of testing; it barely even touches testing anything in Meteor (which is why youā€™d buy it in the first place).

1 Like

@kookoskar what is the difference between using the CLI tool, and the velocity Meteor package with the HTML reporter?

Thanks for the review. Iā€™d been on the fence about buying it but all the interesting chapters on testing specifics e.g. Methods / publications are yet to be written and itā€™s been like that for the 10 months or so that Iā€™ve been working with meteor.

Iā€™ve managed to glean enough from various sources to write reasonable tests. Velocityā€™s sample Letterpress app Iā€™ve found good.

I gotta agree with @waldgeist, I actually bought the Meteor testing book almost a year ago, I knew I was getting a beta book, but I couldnā€™t imagine that after almost a year I would still see a lot Not Ready chapters (the ones i was most interested aboutā€¦). Nevertherless I started using velocity and mike:mocha on two proyects, unfortunately it hasnā€™t been pleasent at all, let me explain some of it:

• We wanted to focus on client-server integration, so we focused on testing meteor methods (one of the not ready chapters from the book) but our tests run and pass most of the times, but we sometimes get errors, particularly when making changes quickly, meteor restarts two or three times, and now our tests are red and canā€™t seem to recover unless we stop and restart the meteor process again.
  • While mike:mocha seemed like a good choice, it now feels like jasmine and cucumber are getting more attention from the velocity developers (just my impression) did I pick the wrong one?
  • A couple of times we even had inconsistent results using meteor --test which again, could be my fault, but we havenā€™t found anything any good reason to believe so, since triggering a new build withouth any changes fixed the problem.

Bottom line, I think we should be able to fully trust our tests, if our tests gives us false negatives, then itā€™s even worse than not testing at all. I honestly feel dissapointed on the Meteor Testing bookā€™s progress and now that packages based apps are getting more attention, Iā€™m thinking that Tinytest may be more than enough for most testing needs.

As the author of the book and a core Velocity member, I have to respond to all this!

Youā€™re all absolutely right to call out the lack of updates on the book. I recognize this acutely and Iā€™m working on the chapters as we speak. The order they are coming out in is as follows:

• Test Types
  • Testing Best Practices is being renamed to ā€œHow to Structure your App for Testingā€
  • Testing Meteor Methods
  • Testing Collections
  • Testing Packages

I also owe everyone a reason and I will be sending this out in the next update (which I promise is coming in the next week or so). The reason for the lack of updates is that Jonas and I are the only two active people left on the Velocity team. We have the following responsibilities:

1. Maintain & Support Velocity for free
  • Maintain & Support Meteor Jasmine for free
  • Maintain & Support Meteor Cucumber for free
  • Develop our paid service Simian.io
  • Do consulting work to pay our bills
  • Write the book

We would absolutely love to work full time on Velocity and related frameworks, and it really is a full time job. The reality is that we have to juggle priorities and lately weā€™ve had to the prioritize points above point 6.

@waldgeist Did you post an issue about your ES6 classes not working? They should work no dramas in Jasmine. Cucumber support is coming soon.

@csauer the velocity-cli npm tool is a shortcut so you donā€™t have to write crazy long commands for things like package testing.

@timfletcher Letterpress was developed for the book not Velocity. Itā€™s well ahead of the book as I tried to solve all problems with it prior writing content. Itā€™s still acting as the path finder in that way and is always a good resource to go see the latest development.

@pcastrom you would have better luck with jasmine for sure. We use it every day for our own product and for client work.

Iā€™m really grateful that youā€™ve all taken the time to write these comments and I genuinely take the above as constructive criticism. Ultimately you want better content and I owe it to you so stay tuned and if you find issues with Velocity / frameworks, please post them on Github. We do jump on any issues that are blockers quite quickly.

6 Likes

Community take note - this is how you respond to criticism. Well done @sam - and thanks for your hard work on all of this!

4 Likes

@sam Yup, good response. Although I still donā€™t think itā€™s fair to advertise the book in the manner it is being advertised if itā€™s only half-done. Itā€™s advertised like itā€™s the book thatā€™s supposed to solve all your problems with testing, but in realityā€¦ you get very little out of it (or, I should say, I did). Either add disclaimers or donā€™t advertise it at all, otherwise people are bound to end up disappointed.

2 Likes

@kookoskar noted and a valid point. Iā€™ll update all the blurb on the places the book is advertised.

On the getting something out of it aspect. There are people that come to the book knowing nothing, Iā€™ve heard directly that they get a lot of value as all the chapters are currently aimed at beginners. The experienced folk that I talk to (Iā€™m assuming you are) are waiting for the more advanced stuff. Iā€™ve also had to delay that prior to 1.0 due to changing APIs, and then again in 1.2 and it looks like there will be some significant changes coming soon with ES6 modules on the horizon.

That being said, there are definitely things to write about and like I said, Iā€™m working on it right after this thread post so expect something very soon!

2 Likes

I want to mention that Sam and Jonas now offer premium support for Velocity as well:
http://xolv.io/services/velocity-premium-support/

I wish that Velocity would be counted as a core part of the Meteor experience, and that no new version of Meteor would be considered whole if Velocity wasnā€™t ready for it yet.

Iā€™d add, in your defence, Sam, an additional point to your responsibilities :

7 - Try to keep up with the accelerating stream of changes and improvements in the whole ecosystem!

Velocity architecture is very unsuitable to many types of testing, and has cost us tens of thousands of dollars of development time with its architectural assumptions and project management. Itā€™s like announcing Angular integration when other people are using React. Sure, letā€™s get testing frameworks into the platform, but mUnit/SpaceJam and Nightwatch/StarryNight should be considered also.

Thank you @warehouseman.

In the interest of making sure new comers to this thread that see this message, some clarification is in order:

This is a statement shows a misunderstanding of how Velocity works. Velocity has current support for the following:

• Unit Testing
    • Jasmine supports this for both client and server
  • Integration Testing
    • Mocha supports this for both client and server
  • End-to-end Testing
    • The Jasmine currently supports this
    • Cucumber supports this
    • Robot supports this
    • CasperJS supports this
  • Package Testing
    • Mocha supports this for both client and server

Velocity is suitable for all the testing types above and works today.

This is true, it has cost us all a lot of time and we continue to contribute and give this for free to the Meteor open-source community.

Yes, they should be considered. Here are some facts to support peopleā€™s decisions:

mUnit/SpaceJam : Built onTinyTest and supports package testing. It works great, especially when used with Sinon. If thatā€™s your preference and it works for you, you should absolutely use it.

Nightwatch/StarryNight: An opinionated and ambitious project that tries to solve scaffolding, testing and system architecture domains all at once by giving you a command line interface. If thatā€™s your thing, you should absolutely try it.

###Some Facts
Velocity and related frameworks (especially Jasmine & Cucumber) have been battle-tested and are being used in production by some of the biggest Meteor applications around today that power real businesses. Here are the supporting stats:

Issues closed on GitHub that were not created by the author

Velocity Core: 251 tickets - (downloads not relevant as itā€™s a core package used by the frameworks below)
Jasmine: 179 tickets - 132,000 downloads on atmosphere
Cucumber: 136 tickets - 71,000 downloads on Atmosphere
Mocha: 94 tickets - 99,000 downloads on Atmosphere

spaceJam: 14 tickets - 19,000 downloads on npm
StarryNight: 4 tickets - 3,600 downloads on npm

I hope this data makes it easier for readers of this thread to see the landscape a little better.

Happy testing (then coding) :wink:

3 Likes

Velocity is working great for us, now.

At first we ran into all sorts of trouble. It turned out to be the proxy settings we use were interfering with it.

2 Likes

Sam,

Where can I learn about using Velocity in continuous integration; eg, in CircleCI or Travis?

Try this for Circle

Iā€™m working on Travis for a client and I will share when Iā€™m done if they agree :slight_smile:

Great thanks!

(Quite a bit of head busting went into that, Iā€™ll bet)