Very long rebuild time? Are other getting that? How to improve on it?

try to use meteor reset…
every build create new cache file …
if you see your project have larger size then the actual code file size. i.e. the previous build cache is there in .meteor directory…

i use meteor reset to get it clear…

But then you lose your local db right?

I just started creating a new app with 1.3.2.4. I have not even added a database and the build times are averaging 58 seconds (3 seconds “Preparing…”, 35 seconds “Checking…”, 20 seconds “Building…”)

That’s every time I click save on a file. I’m running the Windows version on an overclocked i7 with an SSD.

How do you revert back to 1.3?

That’s not normal behaviour. I would first try deleting meteor and re-installing (the package cache can become huge especially after several meteor updates).

rm -rf ~/.meteor
curl https://install.meteor.com | sh

What’s the difference between rm -rf ~/.meteor and meteor reset (Isn’t meteor reset supposed to clean up what can be cleaned up, without removing absolutely everything?)

ya it will reset local db.

if you want to save it then you can do this.
before using meteor reset, go to .meteor/local and copy directory db to somewhere else and then use meteor reset

after the process resets your project, you just copy back db directory to .meteor/local and your local database will restored.

Meteor keeps a cache of packages under ~/.meteor/. Over time this cache can grow huge. The more updates you’ve done, or packages you’ve used (including those you later meteor removed), the bigger that cache gets. There is empirical evidence which suggests that build times go up in time as the cache grows. So, removing it can help build times. However, a side effect of removing the entire directory is that the meteor executable is unable to run - hence reinstalling to ensure the minimum set of dependencies is present. Consider this as a general, system-wide cleanup.

On the other hand, meteor reset is a “project level” command and does little more than remove the local/ directory from your project’s .meteor/ directory (not to be confused with ~/.meteor/. That means that packages will be reinstalled and a new database will be created for that project, when running meteor after a reset.

2 Likes

oups I read rm -rf ./.meteor instead of rm -rf ~/.meteor :slight_smile: Thanks!

It’s really weird that the cache is organized in a way that unused packages have an impact on performances… I’ll try that.