What do we the community do with Blaze?

Thought this will never be asked. I’d be very happy to contribute.

1 Like

This is awesome man!

Edit: and wow, that took like two dozen lines of code :joy: too good

1 Like

I’ve yet to try it - it does look interesting though. From my look into it, I feel Blaze is a bit nicer because it has a custom build tool for it, but I should probably look closer in.

Well, it doesn’t quite sound like this guy is a lawyer… I’m still waiting for mine to get back to me

1 Like

I think what you’re trying to say is: there are people in the community that help advance MDG’s mission and interests, so what, if anything, does MDG give back?

I think what I’m trying to say is: MDG received $20m last year to further the Meteor platform and develop a legitimate business around it. They seem to be struggling to get sufficient development resources to maintain features that many have invested time and effort integrating into their commercial projects. I feel like I am being continually let down by this chopping and changing of agenda. Meteor seems to be heading towards becoming a wrapper for third-party-ware. In doing so, they are exposing themselves to the licences and agendas of those third-parties, over which they have no control.
I beleive that it was their intention to be non-opinionated. But in doing so, they end up chasing their own tail trying to keep up with all the new sparkly things that crop-up rather than concentrate of forming rationalised opinions about best-in-class methodology and making it their own.

2 Likes

Says who? I’d imagine what MDG plan to do with their funding is pretty commercially sensitive info they wouldn’t be planning to share with their competitors.

If they’re not looking to form a legitimate busines aorund it, then what are they trying to acheive?

I think I heard somewhere that most of that $20 million went into trying to get faster search performance out of Atmosphere. While Atmosphere performance issues still remain, I know that with enough community support, and maybe a dash of series C funding, MDG can make it happen!!

(EDIT: Just kidding/venting with attempted sarcasm; when I yell at Atmosphere it doesn’t seem to care, so I’ll vent with you guys …)

6 Likes

What!? $20m on one aspect of Atmosphere (which is surely going to be deprecated in favour of npm) ?

I agree with that point. We have being developing medium sized package based applications (~30 custom developed packages) and Blaze works very well. Our approach was to code view components that are initialized passing parameters to the template. From that point the template is in charge of subscriptions and handling internal state communicating using events with other components.

The main issue is that application grows very large and template naming for instance must follow conventions to avoid clashes. Incremental loading could be very interesting for performance optimizations.

Guy, this was a joke :smile:

1 Like

I’ve heard Atmosphere deprecation was a bluff - they are planning to disrupt NPM :scream:

(sarcastic)

6 Likes

You may want to check out my Blaze Modules package, which addresses the template naming issue, and comment on the issue I’ve opened to get a similar feature added to Blaze proper.

4 Likes

I personally think my biggest pain point with blaze wasn’t even a blaze issue, but possibly a DDP issue. If DDP allowed for messages to be sent in large batches then blaze could re/render whole batches and not each time added/updated/removed is called. Virtual DOM would be nice, but I think batching the data changes would be a huge performance improvement alone.

3 Likes

Check this branch: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/pull/5680

2 Likes

Thank you for starting this. I’m totally new to Meteor, and Blaze resonated with me especially because of prototyping speed.

React seems significantly more laborious at first glance, so I was dejected about it eventually being the only option. Definitely hoping Blaze gets a 2nd wind.

6 Likes

Hey guys, FYI we can now put all Blaze discussion in it’s own brand new forum category!

Let’s rock… uh… let’s Blaze! :wink:

12 Likes

Probably an attempt to keep disparaging remarks about Meteor hidden from the main forum!

I’m happy to give them the old Blaze version of Telescope to use as a community platform : p

2 Likes