What options do I have deploying my Meteor app?

1. It includes a Mongo database, Galaxy does not
  2. It has two less expensive price points, which Galaxy does not (128 MB - $9 and 256MB - $15)

There may be other differentiating factors. However, I think it’s a much better deal than Galaxy considering the built-in database (with automated backups). Paying for a production-ready Mongo DB can cost $30/month or more.

3 Likes

That’s true, NodeChef is great for running a lower traffic or hobby project, which wouldn’t be feasible on Galaxy due to its entry price. And the included DB is a great option.

NodeChef is also great for running high traffic applications and also provides the best value for any Node.js and MongoDB deployment. Database driven apps are only as fast as the database. In that regard, NodeChef databases run on bare metal, local SSD and 8 cores. And provides elastic scalability.

Infact, NodeChef hosts the backends for a good number of high traffic game driven apps. Most of these apps are constantly running at no less than 600 requests/second which is over a billion requests per month.

5 Likes

@knana NodeChef is not bad. Their CLI sucks big-time, there are some UI bugs in their dashboard, and it sometimes takes forever to deploy for no apparently good reason, but aside from that, it’s decent. The $9/mo option probably would never work as it’s only 128MB, which in my experience is not enough RAM for a Meteor app. But $15/mo isn’t bad. I still entrust Galaxy to serious SaaS applications just because of the polished interface, the proven infrastructure, and the support. NodeChef still feels like kind of a thrown-together solution which doesn’t give me confidence in it.

EDIT: oh, I also didn’t like that I was charged $15 right away up front, rather than an hourly rate billed at the end of the period.

I agree with you. Regarding MongoDB - Compose and mLab are also good options. But there is no alternative to Galaxy.

I really like Atlas for db.

BTW, for just under $9/mo, you can get a 1GB AWS EC2 server and use something like meteor-up or pm2-meteor to deploy (and meteor-up will install a Mongo server automatically for you). Is there any other advantage to using NodeChef vs an EC2 server?

I guess the advantage is that you don’t need to worry about setting up the server, making sure all the packages are up to date, everything is secure, and configuring the deployment. Some people like to do this themselves, but most don’t :wink:

2 Likes