What's wrong with React, and how MDG can fix it IMHO

I generally agree with the surface of the sentiment above. Professionally expressed! I think the larger topic has become: but is she to be permitted to bring such matters to our attention, or should we umbrage her until she gets the point?

Excellent suggestion to get over it. Would you think only her viewpoint should get over it, or is there ever a point where that strategy could be counselled for the other side? For example, the necessary code changes to abandon blaze for react are orders of magnitude more widespread than the

possibility that they should be made to do more work and rework their codebase to suit her clients’ unreasonable sensibilities.

“Get over it” does a brilliant amount of work in your comment. I can only assume it is deliberate.

Note:
This topic is getting out of hand. If you have nothing to say that is relevant to the topic, “What’s wrong with React, and how MDG can fix it IMHO”
 then I urge you to avoid posting even if you really want to voice your opinion on the matter of terminology of an API.

On Topic:
I really like the idea of MDG building something on top of React to make it easier. I’m sure it can be done, but before they get to that point, I think it would be better to see the integration improve. That should start with Meteor 1.3 with better NPM support.

2 Likes

I’m sorry the term props doesn’t suit you
 as far as mount it means: “place or fix (an object) in its operating position.” But I agree, somebody needs to get their mind out of the gutter :smiley:

tl:dr functional programming will help devs program with multi cores easier

One of the trends is that CPUs have failed to keep up to Moors law due to physics issues. This means that we’ll see more and more cores to solve this problem. If anything the number of cores in computers may double every x months.

Utilizing mult-core means parallel computing. Traditionally doing this in Ruby/Python/Java/C# has been very hard. However, functional programming shines because it can rely on immutable data

Certain languages make this easier than others and Elixir is the easiest i’ve used. Scala is prob. the second easiest i’ve tried (both use an actor model). Elixir is ironically the most like OO as well with message passing between processes.

JavaScript one day should provide this. Using multiple cores in the browser would be a great addition! :thumbsup:

7 Likes

When I read this, I basically hear you tell aWatson to shut up or go away. Why weren’t the previous 20 messages for her to shut up and go away sufficient?

React is a framework for professional developers. Blaze is great fun way for amateurs and designers who don’t want to spend about 8 hours learning some basic JS concepts.

If you pay attention, you will notice that the way professionals build something is different from the way amateurs build something. If you hire a contractor to build a kitchen for you, they will use different tools and methods than the do-it-yourself person who goes to IKEA to buy a ready-made furniture.

People who have been building UIs for a long time have come to realize that the old, “easy” way of writing code, using JQuery and other code like Tracker (magical but unpredictable reactivity), doesn’t work that well in the long run, and it doesn’t scale for complex UIs.

But yes, for simple projects Blaze works just fine.

3 Likes

Well, I do apologize if that’s the way it sounded and felt to you. That was not my intention.

Maybe I didn’t read the other 20 messages, I was working my way through this thread.

However, it’s just my opinion. @awatson1978 is entirely entitled to her view, and it’s certainly valid
 maybe there are people who think React terminology is unprofessional and confusing. That could be true. In fact I’m glad she’s here because looking at names I see there are few women
 and I besides I also don’t want to tell anyone “to shut up and go away”.

I did edit and remove part of my reply. Maybe I’m frustrated with people who look for and make up a negative interpretation of anything. Maybe I’m frustrated about all the non-sensical argument used against React.

3 Likes

Thank you. I don’t think we’re actually arguing about terminology, if we ever were in the comments I am calling out.

@jimmack1963 I appreciate you saying this, because maybe I’m not aware of the potential impact of a comment. I believe in an integral theory, that all perspectives have a part of the truth
 Not to get off topic from this discussion, but I think this is valuable for this discussion, and all discussions where we get hung up on having the “right view”:

According to integral theory, there are at least four irreducible perspectives (subjective, intersubjective, objective, and interobjective) that must be consulted when attempting to fully understand any issue or aspect of reality. Thus, the quadrants express the simple recognition that everything can be viewed from two fundamental distinctions: 1) an inside and an outside perspective and 2) from a singular and plural perspective. A quick example can help illustrate this: imagine trying to understand the components of a successful meeting at work. You would want draw on psychological insights and cultural beliefs (the insides of individuals and groups) as well as behavioral observations and organizational dynamics (the outsides of individuals and groups) to fully appreciate what is involved in conducting worthwhile meetings.

Thats an incredible good point. But I may lack the possible application (though we have used Multithread.js once to do statistical analysis for graphs in the background), where JavaScript would not be replaced by something like WebAssembly [what is WebAssembly] at that time. Than you could really compile (lisp) directly to 
 what ever JS is called
 than.

Funny enough, functional programming seems like such a hot topic, while stateless operations existed since ever for using distributed databases. SQL, even MongoDB Aggregations etc.

Edit:
I’ll unsubscribe this threat now. Not bearable. Its obvious that @jimmack1963 is a troll who takes the time to dedicate 11 out of his total 18 posts to shame people in this community. No protector needed. @awatson1978 has more tech knowledge than most of us combined. Just tag me where ever it is relevant again. Frohes neues Jahr from Köln, Germany!

1 Like

(OFF TOPIC ALERT) Thank you. Out of curiosity, where do you classify the existence of outside agendas in this matrix? What does integral theory have to say about a movie like ‘12 angry men’ for example? I promise I won’t hi-jack this thread for that discussion, just curious.

Already asked xD 
 Was ignored I guess

3 Likes

move on, nothing to see here

3 Likes

(OFF TOPIC ALERT) Hm, interesting question, outside agendas presupposes an inside and an outside, there is a group who is on the inside and one on the outside. I don’t have an answer for you – I will need to watch 12 angry men (I read the play long ago). However I find that intersubjective inquiry often helps reveal what is really at stake, naturally as social creatures we tend to identify with a group and its “agenda”, if we’re outside a group we could even identify with being an outsider.

when the inside is a part of the outside, aren’t you a part of both ?
btw, don’t ppl have work to do ?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you’re going to say React has brogrammer slang and disparage good people that work at Facebook as brogrammers in hoodies, you need to do a little more than point out entries for “props” and “mount” in Urbandictionary.com if you don’t want to sound completely ridiculous.

There are people that can make ANYTHING innocent sound absolutely disgusting. If a programming language of all things is what is being perverted at your place of work, you might be working with some hardcore creeps.

And yes this is probably off topic now, but telling people to go make another thread after long winded replies on the subject have been posted is like saying “I got the last word in here, if you want to reply go make another obscure thread somewhere that no one will read or care about.”

Personally I believe topics should just be discussed where they come up naturally, but if you’re serious about wanting people to go to another thread, start the thread yourself and post a link. Otherwise you’re just pointing out a problem and presenting no solution.

4 Likes

I feel a bit misunderstood here. I am willing to defend myself if they want a dedicated thread on this. Otherwise I want this to end so we can get back to discussing React.

I agree with everything you say here; thanks for qualifying. I do hope you realize that women often don’t feel safe or welcome in the tech (or gaming) community. As an example, play a bingo game next time there is a mixed audience - how often is a male interrupted, how often a female, and how do each of them manage that interruption. Even when you factor in status or age!

I hope you don’t feel I was shaming you. You did add the qualifiers “profane and unprofessional” to awatson’s actual quote, but I only noticed it because the “You better” felt less well expressed than what you write above.

1 Like

Lol, you just made me crack up.

This is ridiculous
 because every other word in the english language has been taken to mean something “bad”, because people apparently have nothing better to do with their time.

1 Like

Maybe if we blazed more we’d be less react-ionary.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes