Why doesn't MDG just adopt Vue.js and forget about React vs Blaze?

if we find someone who knows vue in depth and would like to maintain the integration and ensure that it’s great, I would happily help with knowledge on the meteor side.

But I am shure a stack such as Meteor - with multiple interpretor levels and many security and scalability concerns - is complex. On the other hand, Vue is just a label for what some people are looking for: An object oriented frontend, allowing component scoped and less verbose operations when working on “this” component, and the automated reactivity behind.

For shure, developping an interpretor level for some features and its features, one need to know the consequences on the whole stack.

My main point is that: MDG is I supoose, interested in object oriented frontend features, whatever the tag (Vue or others).

I am just saying that what I saw in Vue looks like what I am looking for:
-Object oriented
-Simple syntax (compared to other technologies)
-Component orientes

A way or another, it would be cool to see it built-in in the meteor stack.

Get a conversation with @evanyou. I suppose several MDG staff already have his phone number.

1 Like

You’re misrepresenting what I said again @sashko. I have a true vested interest in Meteor – I’ve built a company based on it.

I never meant to say MDG is completely divesting right now, what I mean is MDG’s new strategy revolves around Apollo, and MDG will be slowly and it seems gracefully divesting from Meteor. To me this is clear not only by what MDG devs have said on this forum but just by looking at the Meteor repo. MDG has helping migrate Blaze to the community now – and I’ve said this is a good thing in the past.

Developers do not read all these posts, so when it seems they’re unaware of the real situation, I’ll try to inform them.

You may not like me to stay ‘divesting’ in one degree or another more than once on these forums – and for that I’m sorry.

And to be clear, yes, your business was built on Meteor, but divesting means, MDG is pivoting to the new Apollo strategy and away from Meteor – to what extent and how quickly this occurs is still in question.

1 Like

Sashko is on this forum because he cares about the Meteor community, and largely does so on his own time outside of the primary focus of his work.

4 Likes

Oh, my apologies to @sashko in this case – he seems to post during MDG business hours a lot, and when he posts it seems mainly to carry MDG water, so I just put two and two together. We’ve had a few MDG employees that were on these forums before, like @evanyou, but after leaving MDG we no longer see them. I’m sure @sashko is the exception because he truly cares.

I agree, appreciating @sashko time on the forum for such orientation matters and maintaining a dialog with the community, from MDG.

But outsiders try to interpret what is going on at MDG (dev orientations, I read posts about that). It is normal that when people are attracted by something because they feel in afinity with it, they feel puzzled when that thing (an organization and a technology) does not respond when it seems to get some distance from what we people feel and think is the thing we need.

In my case: a simple object oriented templating system with encapsulated methods and properties, as well as the most simple syntax in listings (idealy, templates with the least things in them), one file per component.

I have no connection nor financial interest in Vue.js. My points are about the features present in it, as tools I wish to have. When MDG declares official support for React, in my liking, it is sad; same thing when they choose not to embrace the features I was talking about in a more simple way (coding format, single file)

“we people”, I mean, a portion of user base.

Understood here, and speculation is understandable. We have a goal of more clearly communicating, seeing as forum posts are easily lost and not easy to find in this very active community, especially for those users who don’t have the time to keep up to date on the latest forum posts.

Look forward to more and clearer communication from us soon, and in the mean time we all need to make sure that this forum is a helpful and positive place to be.

1 Like

With all due respect, I’m all for being helpful and positive, as I’m sure most are – but we should also not shy away from keeping it real on here. I hope critical thoughts, questions, and opinions are still welcomed on these forums – even if it gets under the skin a little.

We’ve been told before that MDG was on the cusp of being more open, I hope this time the initiative sticks. I think this is the main reason there are so many questions and posts MDG might not take to in this forum.

1 Like

@aadams I hear you – a better work would be “constructive”. Critical thoughts, questions, and opinions are definitely still welcome, as long as they’re brought up in a way that is respectful and on-topic.

2 Likes

Thanks @sashko and @thea for all you are doing for the community.

For one, I am sincerely grateful to (and impressed with) @sashko … Thank you!

On a side note, what’s your poison, Red Bull, coffee injection straight in the arteries … How do you do it all?

3 Likes

I definitely work way too much. Hopefully it helps someone!

11 Likes

Curse of the programmer. It’s hard not to work when your work is also your hobby and addiction haha.

4 Likes

I realize this is an old post… I read through the chain. … kinda got me going reading the exchanges. Maybe no one will see this reply…

I’ve worked with React for most of this year (2016). It was the first “Framework” I’ve used until Vue. Yep, old-school JQ and brute force, with PHP/Django/C++ tails… my world. Vue is simply an engineering marvel !! My take – Vue’s adoption is only held back by mostly uniformed critics. Let MDG react as it believes it should, and use the right tool for the job (and politics :)). It will MGD loss, as I suspect Vue will see strategic placement in many other stacks–Vue is simply that good!!

1 Like

Sorry, but we have been hearing this for what ? Two years ? Three years ?

4 Likes

Don’t you feel like things have improved? The rate of PRs being accepted and community members participating in Meteor is much better now than ever.

Improved… Hmmmmm. Yes. :slight_smile:

I would not call that communication.
What’s the future of meteor “classic” ? Has it one ?
What’s coming in the next months ?
Where does Apollo stand with Meteor. Is it the future of Meteor ? Is it a sister project ? Is is a replacement framework (ala Angular 2.0) ?

2 Likes

I agree, we are left in the dark. How can we know what’s new or different, what are new ways? What should we learn? Is reading again all the doc the only way? Do we really need to spend time watching a long YT for getting some ideas about maybe something? Many people advocate Meteor, like myself, but still, does MDG do it?