Why I fell in love with Meteor

Inspiring story. Thank you for sharing

Meteor + redis-oplog + react (vuejs) is as good as using GraphQL - Yeah, I mean it. GraphQL is great for Facebook scale, not for my scale :rofl:. You can now build out apps that scales with redis-oplog (using Redis) to handle realtime subscriptions with no scaling issues (the main problem of scaling meteor is mongo oplog tailing - DDP) instead of the default Mongo oplog tailing. I can build anything I want with Meteor with no scaling issues, with the right optimizations. Meteor comes out of the box with everything you need to build anything imagined. Until Apollo becomes as easy as Meteor…redis-oplog + react or vuejs remains the solution.

There is Vulcan.

Though it would be good to see an official integration of Meteor with Apollo.

1 Like

Yea, Vulcan…Vulcan doesn’t yet have realtime subscriptions out of the box - the very thing that made us all love Meteor. You still have to implement it yourself unlike Meteor.

And this, is what made Meteor (+galaxy) so GREAT.

Somewhere this direction was lost, and we were left with something that instead of doubling on its strengths, started to morph into something that now it’s just a risky business decission to use.

It’s so sad… Really. We had the best platform to bootstrap ideas and deliver new things with an unparalleled time to market advantage as the OP has so nicely described.

I hope we can find something like that again.

Cheers.

That’s it. Period.

Giving away the general ease and time to market pros for trying to cover all complex cases was a big downer. There are already solutions for that. Maybe not as good as Apollo can become, but Meteor was a different thing.

We didn’t need something to do everything. We needed what we had, an opinionated full stack app development framework that allowed us to jump right in and start producing ASAP.

Sad it turned out this way…

Do you use Redis for user accounts too?

1 Like

I don’t use Redis for that. I use the default Meteor account system.