Why is it so hard to start a new Meteor project? (At least for me)

Thanks, @robfallows I will check it out!

1 Like

Hey e4tless, sorry you’re having trouble with maka-cli on windows! So, the “$” or “bash prompt” is what you’d see in bash. For windows you’d see the dos prompt ( > ) or powershell prompt.

To install maka-cli, don’t use meteor to do it – maka-cli is a node module and should be installed using npm:

npm install -g maka-cli

Hope that helps with the really (REALLY) strange bug you’re seeing. I suspect it’s because you’re trying to cram maka-cli into your meteor project.

maka-cli is a proxy to meteor, not a package that gets installed IN meteor.

maka

Thank you for responding. I will try again :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the responses and the discussion!

Finally I chose meteor create --full to start my prototype, it still has no data, so I might change to one of the tools mentioned in the posts. Before, I’ll read http://www.meteor-tuts.com/ by @diaconutheodor to get an idea of Grapher.

In my company we’ve got an opportunity to extend an existing project based on the Yii framework. And so, I’ve got in touch with Gii (https://www.yiiframework.com/doc/guide/2.0/en/start-gii). This is the sort of tool, I’m currently missing in Meteor. It’s web based, so it is easier to use for beginners and seldom users than a CLI tool. It generates the model based on the MySQL/MariaDB database schema, so there is also a clear way to set up an application by implementing the database schema first, then creating the model, afterwards the CRUD application.

This looks like relatively easy to create on top of maka-cli, what do you think @maka? might make the CLI more accessible?

@qnipp have you seen Meteor Kitchen? you can actually build the entire app visually, take a look at this preview youtube video, I think it has more stuff than Gii and even easier.

That’s a possibility for sure. I really need to shore up the documentation, however, before I embark on a GUI.

1 Like