Why isn't hosting Meteor as simple as writing Meteor?

Check out https://github.com/arunoda/meteor-up for super easy deployments to VPS providers(Digitalocean, Linode, Amazon etc)

1 Like

there you go, if it is that easy and inexpensive, you can just go ahead, do it, make a killing :wink: and expect everyone to expect it at zero cost and high quality like yourself. however, it is likely that both you and the hopeful clients will experience the effect.

Dockerize it with meteord. That is by far the easiest solution. Get some free credits from GCE or AWS and put a docker image on it. Just for signing up for AWS I got $100 credit. Then just pay the $18/month for compose or something and you’re good to go. Production deployment in 30 minutes for $18 out of pocket.

3 Likes

Heroku seems to be the easiest way for the type of user you are talking about. Just use this buildpack in combination with the instructions here from Heroku. Then you should be able to run the app for free (18 hours a day) or for around $7 a month I believe.

It’s mostly just copy and pasting the commands into your command line…no MONGO_URL or anything like that. For sticky sessions, you can just paste this in: heroku labs:enable http-session-affinity

Edit: Here is a blog post with step by step instructions: http://justmeteor.com/blog/deploy-to-production-on-heroku/

Like myself? I don’t understand. All I asked was why there isn’t an option that isn’t 5x what other people pay. I thought I was asking this question to stir up hope about the future I didn’t realize I was going to be fighting an uphill battle amongst the Meteor community.

Mup is a great tool and probably deserves a place in the toolset that enables this.

I appreciate the link, but it really highlights my point. I manage the deployment of of hundreds of node and c# apps and after setting up Kubernetes & CoreOS to do much of the heavy lifting I really don’t understand why Meteor can’t have a 1 button deploy that costs competitively with Heroku without needing to follow a blog post. meteor deploy --and --some=custom-flags should be enough

IMHO, for this use case deploying the production app to meteor.com would be best. If you ping the server to keep it from sleeping it will not sleep (although that’s prob against their terms).

Galaxy developer edition should be coming out soon to solve all of that. I think DB management is coming soon after. It is as simple as copy/pasting the URI string from but a compose/mongolab sandbox (free) into an environment variable.

Soon it should be really easy! :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this issue as well since discovering Meteor. I always want to compare meteor hosting to PHP hosting. PHP hosting can be had for 5 bucks a month, and that 5 bucks (or 10 if you want to splurge), will allow you to host unlimited websites and have unlimited mysql databases… so you can put up as many of your “possibly great ideas” as you want… (provided you purchase domain names, and you can do subdomains if you don’t think your idea is worth it’s own domain yet).

Also, as mentioned above, there is the possibility of someone writing a great meteor app and distributing it to the world, and then you have a lot of people looking to install that great app on their cheap hosting service. We can do that all day with all the PHP apps out there… even the cheap hosts will provide you some level of support to get your php zip extracted into your shared account and get it online.

All in all, what I see here is not a problem, but a business opportunity:)

Yeah, I see what you are saying. The free Meteor hosting does that, and the beta version of Galaxy does almost all of that (other than database). Meteor is still relatively new, so it’s just a matter of time before anyone should be able to do it with a simple command. Someone starting Meteor right now should probably have that hosting option for a reasonable cost available by the time they finish the app.

Any details on how you received $100 in aws credit?
Not seeing any current info out there regarding $100 upon creation of a free account.

Oh man, don’t even get me started. WordPress hosting is horrible. Sure, a “normal” WordPress install is easy to deploy, but it’ll crash as soon as you get more than 12 people on the site, and won’t be maintainable except with good old FTP.

In contrast, with Meteor we have Meteor Up which lets you set up and deploy with one command each. By comparison, the best WordPress equivalent I could find, Trellis, is an order of magnitude more complex.

Sorry if this comes across as mean, but honestly I feel like when people say that Meteor is hard to deploy, what they’re actually saying is “I can’t use the crappy, slow, unreliable deployment method I’m used to”.

1 Like

I don’t know why people are saying mup is hard…

I suck at devops and had a working production app on digitalocean in the time it took to watch this video:

1 Like

Here’s one: https://aws.amazon.com/campaigns/lead-qual-credits/

Here’s another if you’re a student:

1 Like

I agree. DO + compose + mupx is where it’s at.

Also consider Scalingo - I found it very easy, and I am very much a beginner. (but with a distant background in I.T) I tried Modulus first, and whilst the process was simple, our application simply failed to work. Being the lazy sod that I am, rather than debug the problem, I tried another provider - and it worked first go.

wow it looks really good (I mean very simple) https://scalingo.com/meteorjs-hosting
I wonder what are the drawbacks and how reliable is the company.

FWIW, we are a paying subscriber to Scalingo now, and using it in “production”. (a TINY app, typically used by just one person, but nevertheless an extremely useful app) No issues yet. We were having serious performance problems with the Meteor deployment server - these problems vanished as soon as we moved to Scalingo.

1 Like

Forgot to add that if/when we want to scale, Scalingo might not be as cost effective as some others. That’s one possible drawback.

I’m having a lot of success using heroku with Meteor; it’s free to develop on and super simple to deploy and scale.

I’ve been using this method without fail!
http://justmeteor.com/blog/deploy-to-production-on-heroku/

WordPress has been around since 2001, pretty obvious why there’s so many 1 click installs for it… Meteor just hit 1.0. As a developer I expect to know basic config of servers and using Meteor Up, or reading tutorials on how to install a Meteor app, just like one would expect with a Rails app. Or you can wait for Galaxy Personal Developer Edition to be released!