Accounts.forgotPassword/Email error: "forgotPassword" Error: Greeting never received

So I’m not using the generic Accounts-ui package and am configuring a password recovery system. These errors are linked with how the email package interacts with my app. So far, so good…until the error below showed up:

enter image description here

I know it’s an error with my smtp setup in /sever/smtp.js, which reads like this:

Meteor.startup(function () {
  smtp = {
    username: 'myEmail%40gmail.com',
    password: 'password',
    server:   'smtp.gmail.com',
    port: 25
  }

process.env.MAIL_URL = 'smtp://myEmail%40gmail.com:' + encodeURIComponent('password') + "@smtp.gmail.com:25";
});

I guess you can completely ignore the smtp object above, since I had to manually change the process.env.MAIL_URL variable because I had another error before this. This entire process is set up on my local computer/localhost.

I had port 465 before this and there was an error where the username and password were not found. I changed to port 25 and the process worked until I got this error saying that the greeting was never received. I’m inclined to believe that the solution to this problem might either be with how I filled the smtp object or more specifically, with the port, since changing the port solves one problem and gives another problem further down the event loop.

Any help with this is much appreciated.