After $meteor create project - I have to meteor update?

Does anyone else experience this?

I’ll run $ meteor create some_project and cd into it, then I have to run meteor update - today when I was doing this I I noticed the following output:

This project is already at Meteor 1.4.0.1, the latest release.
Your top-level dependencies are at their latest compatible versions.

Newer versions of the following indirect dependencies are available:
 * autoupdate 1.2.11 (1.3.11 is available)    
 * caching-compiler 1.0.6 (1.1.6 is available)
 * ddp-client 1.2.9 (1.3.0 is available)      
 * ddp-server 1.2.10 (1.3.9 is available)     
 * http 1.1.8 (1.2.8 is available)            
 * templating 1.1.14 (1.2.13 is available)    
To update one or more of these packages, pass their names to `meteor
update`.

Why doesn’t meteor create just install the latest versions of random dependencies? Is this an issue?

The unpinning of package versions to releases is new - and by design. It’s to enable app builders to have more control over package versions in their apps.

Thanks @robfallows!

Could you expand a bit more on what you mean by “pinning” and “unpinning”?

Until recently, whenever MDG release a new version of Meteor they also bumped the version numbers of core packages (even if they hadn’t been updated) so that they could ship a version of meteor “pinned” to specific package versions. That meant that if you were running (say) Meteor 1.2.1 the versions of core packages you used were known - and given that the entire release was tested with those know versions - should be expected to work identically on anybody’s 1.2.1 app.

Now, they’ve relaxed that requirement (“unpinned” the version requirements), so you’ll be able to update packages independently of new releases. The downside is that problem resolution is likely to become trickier, since we’ll need to know which versions of packages you’re using.

I suspect the first response will become “have you tried updating package xyz?” :wink:

1 Like

Rob, thank you so much for all of that extra explanation!

Is there a way to create a project and update all of the indirect dependencies with one or two simple commands?

It’s quite frustrating to have to run meteor update autoupdate caching-compiler ddp-client ddp-server http templating every time. Is there such a thing as meteor update everything?

I have this same question posted on stackoverflow