Announcing Meteor Ad-Hoc Chat: A Real-Time Open Source Chat Application

Hello fellow Meteorites :comet:

I’m excited to share a small project I’ve been working on: Meteor Ad-Hoc Chat. This is a simple, secure, and user-friendly chat application built using Meteor, demonstrating the capabilities of real-time web applications with the Distributed Data Protocol (DDP).

Meteor Ad-Hoc Chat allows users to instantly create and join chat rooms with unique URLs, no registration needed—just pick a nickname and start chatting. It’s designed to be responsive, so it works well on both desktop and mobile devices, and it’s incredibly easy to deploy, customize, and integrate into existing applications.

I built this project mainly for academic and demonstration purposes, but I believe it has real-world applications, especially in environments where privacy and data security are paramount. The application can run on any server accessible to your target audience, whether it’s internet-facing or confined to an intranet.

Demo: Try it out now: Meteor Ad-Hoc Chat Demo

Open Source: This project is open source, aiming to contribute to the community and provide a base that can be extended or integrated into other applications. I encourage you to clone, fork, and adapt the code as you see fit!

Best Regards,
-Daniel :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Nice! This should be added to the examples listing. I had similar plans to build something like this in the future. So that leaves me with an example that includes user accounts and probably the socialize messaging package for a good measure.