Archiving documents - Boolean field vs separate collection

I have a collection of Posts which to users will be displayed in a feed.

The user can mark a post as archived in order to remove them from the main feed, and instead show them in another archived posts feed.

Furthermore, a post can have multiple comments. If an archived post receives a new comment, it should no longer be archived, and automatically be moved back into the main feed.

I have figured that I can take two approaches:

Either store a boolean archived flag on each Post, and then filter based on this value.

Or I can have a separate ArchivedPosts collection where I transfer the document to once it has been marked as archived.

The problem with 2 is that I will have to perform extra database operations to copy over the document, and remove it from the main Posts collection.

However, this way I have to filter through less documents when I want to display the main feed, because most of the archived documents no longer are interesting for the user.

Which approach seems the most optimal in my situation?

It depends on how big your post collection can be and what percentage of archived posts you have per user.
Without these data I would use approach #1, filtering posts subscribed by the client to the ones not achieved. I would then create a second publication to retrieve only archived posts – if you need them.

Initially I imagine each user to have between 100-1000 posts of which 30 aren’t archived, but I maybe over time that number would grow to 10000ish

The main problem with putting it in a new collection is that you will have to then query the new collection for archived results. If you’re okay with that, it seems like a fine way to do it imo. Better to normalize on writes than on reads with mongodb.