Arunoda: Leaving the Meteor Community

First of all, we really appreciate the work you’ve done. We are now expressing our interest to take-over flow-router. Will send you a PM.

In your article you mention jquery being an anti-pattern. How is that even related to Meteor ?

We use Meteor + ES6 + React. We ditched Blaze as soon as we got official support from Meteor. We love Blaze but you cannot compare it with React.

Anyway, we believe Meteor is going strong… Apollo ? May be the future, for now we use Grapher and it’s simply better. Grapher evolved so much because it focused on Meteor + MongoDB.

9 Likes

It’s not related to Meteor directly. But just wanna talk about how technologies changed.
Anyway, this is a subjective matter and Meteor still has a pretty solid use case.

2 Likes

@arunoda it was great to use your packages. Thanks and good luck with new projects :wink:

I seriously disagree. It shows Meteor has grown up, and that the time for experimenting and hacking is now past.
When I read Arunoda’s goodbye-letter, and his Meteor work, he is someone who likes new tech, and most of all to experiment with new tech. He jumps on any new tech that looks promising until something more interesting comes along, in the process moving that tech to a higher level (thanks for that!).

I think a lot of these kind of people have moved on from Meteor to something else.

But that doesn’t mean Meteor is dead or dying. It has grown up. We can build cool apps now without hacking. There’s a solution now for every problem and we have amazing hosting solutions.

You can also see this from this forums. It’s full with Noob questions, which is boring for people like Arunoda. But for Meteor it is actually great news because it shows they have accomplished their goal of providing a framework that anyone can use to build apps.

So lets all stop saying Meteor should do this or that. Instead, lets start using the framework and build cool stuff!

27 Likes

Thanks for everything!!

I’ve used your packages and services since my first time playing with Meteor.
You’ve contributed so much, wish you all the best.

I am a paying subscriber for Kadira - are you intending on keeping that going?
Or will that slowly shut down and no longer be supported as Meteor grows?

It really is a shame that we are losing you and all your contributions :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks a ton. Best wishes to you.

Thanks and good luck!

I agree with this analysis of this farewell. More looking for the next ‘shiny’ thing now that Meteor is stable and mostly in maintenance mode (build times much better now, thanks!) – aka “fun vs production-grade”

We do use FlowRouter, which we are happy is getting maintained by @diaconutheodor as it does need some love (even though it’s working fine). We used other packages from @arunoda and they often failed or were not updated. Some seemed quite hacky (e.g. MUP or Clusters which we recommend AGAINST – get yourself a load-balancer if you are in production). I am also surprised of the complaints of customer support coming out of Kadira, even though it was praised by many. Not to take away from anyone’s contributions, but the machine keeps moving, with or without anyone of us.

So this should not be taken as loss in confidence in platform, but personal interest.

Opinion about next.js: Having done a lot of PHP in the past, next.js seems more like a wrapper around React and a few libs so that you can develop faster: filesystem-based URLS --> /pages/about.js renders in /about. Nothing amazing there, we use expressjs for our website and have the same amount of control. I guess we are in ‘Run after the next shiny thing mode’.

1 Like

That kind of outlook is a disservice to the Meteor community as a whole and looks more like a rationalization of your investment in the platform, rather than a critical assessment of why Meteor is where it is today.

Like @aadams said, there are extremely valid reasons why smart developers are moving onto other frameworks and libraries.

And they’re not doing it because they’re stupid and just want shiny new toys.

2 Likes

It’s an opinion on next.js – and it’s an opinion on the JS community as a whole. How many platforms are springing up all the time doing just a little bit more than the next best thing? And I didn’t label anyone ‘stupid’, please don’t paraphrase.

And … it’s a personal opinion.

I respectfully disagree on this. We are always looking for great platforms. We choose to stick as there is substantial value.

2 Likes

Thank you for all you have done, Arunoda !

1 Like

@arunoda Many thanks for your contributions to the community & props to you for coming back and making it official :pray:

Good luck with your future endeavours! :smiley:

Yes, thank you!

Casper

You do great work @arunoda! Kadira has saved our butts many times at work and I really appreciate all the work you’ve done in the Meteor community. You’re an important part of Meteor’s success!

1 Like

Thanks @arunoda you helped me a number of times. We really appreciate the efforts and we’ve done some cool stuff off the back of your hard work.

Obviously a concern for all. An keen to understand what happens to Kadira?

3 Likes

Thanks, @arunoda, for everything you’ve done for the community! I can probably speak for most people when I say that your knowledge has been a huge benefit to us all.

For me personally, I’d love to see mup get continued support/development, for those who are interested in hosting small/hobby projects on cheap VPSs. Does anyone know who’s taking that over yet?

5 Likes

@arunoda Just wanted to say thanks for your enormous contribution to Meteor over the years. As others have mentioned I do not think Meteor would be where it is today without your innovations. You will be sorely missed!

Best wishes and good luck for the future :slight_smile:

a big loss for meteor

really very sad news. I remember that you have responded many of my questions in this forum very quickly and we were using a lot of your work - Flow Router, Mantra and many more.

Thanks for all your contributions to Meteor and all the best to you.

@arunoda A great big round of applause for all your efforts these last many years and I and all the Meteorites gained so much more than we could ever repay you from your many helpful posts, packages, services, websites, books, etc.

I started with MeteorJS back in 2012 and always found your many contributions to the community beyond compare and could never properly even begin to thank you for all of your efforts.

Lots of luck in all your future endeavors and I hope to see you around if not on MeteorJS than maybe on Amazon Alexa which has been a blast where I have published about three skills per month for the last six months costing in total around $0.05/month to host all of these skills on AWS Lambda for around 5000+ active skill users while I have been on leave from active MeteorJS development too.