Basic application - need help choosing between Angular and Blaze

Greetings,
I am new into Meteor which I fell in love with at first sight but I need to talk to someone about the technologies wiithin Meteor. I couldn’t find any up-to-date thread here or StackOverflow so here we go.

Client wants an application. Relatively small and generic so I reached to the topic of scaffolding in Meteor. I found iron-cli and AutoForm package. This combo seems really solid for developing an application with basic functionality in no time. Also I really liked the fact that application generated with iron-cli is divided into development and production. The structure seems really similar to what I have seen in Rails (not much experience with it) and I really like it.

So far I have created a Meteor Angular project with Angular 1.5+ and Meteor 1.4+ and I learned the basic concepts from this tutorial. It fully utilizes ES6 which also I really like.

Now what my problem really is. I’d like to give iron-cli and Blaze a shot. But I don’t know yet if it is worth it. I’ve read this article thinking it is a guide to kickstart a Meteor application with the newest technologies (this article is pretty up-to-date) but I was wrong. Can you comment on this in the context of my particular use case?

• If I want to use iron and AutoForm then I have to use Blaze. Is it worth it when I already know component based Angular 1.5+?
  • If it is then how can I fully utilize ES6 with it? Can I just add ecmascript package and substitute all generated code?

I need some guidelines and confidence if I’m gonna go with Blaze. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :slight_smile:

I think you’re more likely to get a helpful response with a more specific title. My opinion is that if you are happy with angular you should use that with Meteor and you’ll have a good time.

3 Likes

Meteor and Blaze is really great when you want to iterate quickly. But you are very likely to pay the cost in the future as it’s not that easy to write maintainable code with Blaze. So it depends if you need to prototype quickly or build solid product from start.

If I want to use iron and AutoForm then I have to use Blaze. Is it worth it when I already know component based Angular 1.5+?

Blaze is easier to learn than Angular which means you don’t have to invest much time if you decide to go with Blaze (In my opinion it would take the same time to learn how to use Angular with Meteor). Make sure to read this guide to avoid common problems.

If it is then how can I fully utilize ES6 with it? Can I just add ecmascript package and substitute all generated code?

What do you mean by “substitute all generated code”?

Meteor 1.2+ comes with ecmascript by default, so you can write ES2015 code out of the box.

I’ve scaffolded the app with iron-cli. I wanted to know if I can substitute every piece of code with constructions like ES6 arrow functions, const/let etc. without any side effects.

I did it and everything works fine by now. I only hope there won’t be any issues with this at some point :slight_smile:

You’re right. That was my bad I didn’t check it…