Best hosting options for > 1.4 šŸ˜±

I must say for the convenience and stability that comes with Galaxy I donā€™t mind paying up the extra buck. I really think we can complement the MDG team on a great hosting product and I feel its good practice to support them since they give us Meteor which made starting my project possible as a single developer (Which Iā€™m convinced would not have been possible before meteor came along). Thanks to MDG for making my business model work!

Also Atlas is pretty great! I tried compose, mlab and modulus before settling with Atlas. The product quality, ssl and replica setup and refined user access rights that come with Atlas has saved me a considerable amount of time.

I understand that on hobby projects one would consider not spending the extra dollars or on really large project choosing the cheapest hosting options can save lots of cash, but for any medium size project I donā€™t see why one would spend time on a slightly cheaper host and loose the convenience/stability of Galaxy and Atlas.

4 Likes

I have been very happy with Prometeus virtual private servers for over 5 years.

What about MS Azure. Did not MS say recently that it will be possible to have Meteor app hosted on Azure without any extra hassle too?

Weā€™re maintaining the integration for Azure App Service which is compatible with Meteor 1.4+ and works through the Native CI system (which can painlessly auto-sync with your remote repository).

The platform is backed by an SLA and provides configurable auto-scaling, zero-downtime updates as well as access to internals (for more advanced architectures such as multi-regional fail-over or A/B testing).

The pricing is similar to Galaxy, but if youā€™re a start-up: Microsoft offers 3 years of free hosting ($150/month/developer for up to 5 accounts) through their BizSpark program which also includes technical support & complimentary access to Office 365, Windows, SQL Server, etc.

5 Likes

Same here, Iā€™ve been using multiple Prometeus iwStack VPSā€™ for a couple of years now, and no problems so far.

A 768MB Ram / 1 CPU with 10GB of storage is about 2.88 euro/month and is perfect for smaller apps, including hosting you MongoDB.

The 1.5GB/2CPU is ample for larger apps. I have one running for a year now, and no downtime so far.

As with all VPS servers like DO, it takes a bit of effort to get up and running, but once your set, you canā€™t beat a VPS on price.

Iā€™m thinking of subscribe to BizSpark, as Iā€™m into a startup, months after saw this ā€¦ Iā€™m still impressed that Microsoft just OFFER 3 years of free server, no fees if we leave at the end. Thatā€™s ā€¦ crazy, isnā€™t it ?
Did you had any problem w/ integrating azure, subscribing to BizSpark etc. ?
Even tough I read a lot of time that tried to run Meteor on not special-meteor platform as Galaxy is ā€œprobably not a good ideaā€ and itā€™s complex, I finally think itā€™s RIDICULOUS to have to rent specific servers, as devs we have to be able to set up a server IMHO.
Besides I donā€™t get why a VPS is like more than 10 time or IDK less expensive than Meteor-dedicated servers as Galaxy, why donā€™t just one propose a galaxy-like service which will use on the background DO servers (for instance) but offers an interface and a deployment like Galaxy for easily handle the server.

hi @satya

Some of the thinks we like about Heroku:

• itā€™s very easy to deploy and setup (https://github.com/AdmitHub/meteor-buildpack-horse)
  • multiple add-ons for databases, logging and more
  • 0 maintenance and scale cost with just one-click
  • hobby dynamo price si excellent for small projects
  • excellent free tier for VMs & database
1 Like

Hello,

Iā€™d like to try your platform, please contact me on roshdy89@gmail.com