Best ide for meteor

Was using Atom but switched to VS Code a year ago and have not looked back.

I actually like Atom better aesthetically but IMHO VS Code’s utility wins the contest for me.

1 Like

Sadly no one has mentioned terminal editor such as nano and vim. I’ve done several large project with them and found no IDE comparable to them. I felt lonely now :frowning:

3 Likes

+1 for VIM or Sublime Text 3 + NeoVintageous package

I use next packages (Meteor + JS + ES6 related):

• Babel
  • Jade
  • Sass
  • SublimeLinter (eslint, contrib-sass-lint)
1 Like

I don’t know where you have that prices from, but on their website they charge €199 in the 1st year, €159 in the second and €119 in the 3rd year and onwards. And they give it away for free for students and with a discount for ex-students. Since I’m working on a commercial project, I enjoy spending a few bucks for a good piece of software.

But I’m not a fanboy, there are definitly other good IDEs out there (maybe even for free). Find your favourite and enjoy it…

I’ve used a lot of different IDEs…

Talking from the point of view of a Js developer: The last full IDE I’ve been using (and that was 3 years ago) was WebStorm: it was pretty customizable and Node.js server side debugging was quite a selling point for it back then.

Then I eventually got tired of it: it was big, sucking up a lot of memory and getting terribly slow on big projects (indexing was taking ages!). I decided to simplify and go back to Vim (I’ve a long standing love story with Vim, since Vi was my first editor when I started my career in software development back in the nineties).
Vim, with a few plugins here and there, can be a very powerful tool and, tbh, it had everything I needed to do my job.

In the last 2 years, though, I ended up switching to Emacs: partly because I was curious about it and also because I liked the way it allows you to do almost everything without leaving the Editor (even reading your email if you’re so inclined).

Now I’m happily sticking to it. I’m not doing anything fancy with it; I’ve a few (dozens) of plugins here and there and I’m a huge fan of Org mode but that’s pretty much it. Ah, and Tmux also is part of my Toolbelt (not strictly related to the editor, I know).

As a Front-End/Fullstack dev on Javascript I don’t actually need much more than that.
I’m sure lots of IDEs out there can do a lot more than what I can do with Emacs, but my current workflow makes me actually happy and productive and I’ve no reasons to look elsewhere, not until I need more than what my current tools give me right now.

You’re not alone,
I’ve been a Vim guy for such I long time I can’t even remember… Now I’m on Emacs but Vim is one of the Editors I use on a daily basis :wink:

1 Like

Just about every editor/IDE these days has vi/vim key binding plugins. I use both of these pretty extensively, and they work amazingly well:

I’ve been using Atom for years, but recently I moved to VSCode for a couple of reasons:

1. it’s the open source project with the greatest number of contributors (https://octoverse.github.com/projects)
  2. it provides integrated debugging for Meteor — both client and server side
  3. in my experience it has the best autocomplete package available for Meteor/Blaze/React
2 Likes

Vote for Webstorm here. For me it’s blazing fast, even for big projects. Has meteor support built in and allows for some nifty code navigation most of the time, eg. from HTML classes to SCSS files or from templates to helpers and actually even to method calls and default imports… sweet!

It’s actually blazingly fast for me (as I wrote above), but you need to make sure to mark your node_modules (and possibly other build directories inside your project as well as any pre-built large static libraries) as “excluded” so it doesn’t get indexed as those can be quite big. .meteor/.local should be automatically excluded I think but it won’t hurt to double check.

Best in class search through the entire project in my humble opinion as well as many cool shortcuts and navigation options.

Highly recommended. I have used Eclipse, Netbeans, and vim intensively in the past and Webstorm - while not as cool as vim for pure text editing - wins out in pure features + effectiveness, for me at last.

I can open all of my old projects in a snap by checking “recent projects” and it loads in a couple of seconds and I’m ready to go. The professionals’ workbench, I couldn’t be happier! :smiley:

5 Likes

WebStorm is far better IMHO and I have doubts if VSCode with the current architecture will be able to catch up.

You can read here why I’m not using VSCode (and I really tried twice): https://medium.com/@filipenevola/vscode-missing-features-837a6bd660ca

I’m using WebStorm with the following features working with Meteor:

• Auto complete and Auto import working for npm packages, Meteor packages and Meteor custom local packages (using webpack resolvers integration from WebStorm)
  • Open file with error by just clicking on the stack trace error directly from Chrome on WebStorm (with this fork https://github.com/filipenevola/open-in-intellij)
  • Integrated runners (meteor run, run with profile, run iOS, run Android, etc), running all these with a click (or a tap on Mac touch bar)

I’ll post more details about these configurations as tips in my mailing list ASAP, you can subscribe here https://www.filipenevola.com

Your feedback here can help me prioritizing this topic.

2 Likes

Notepad++ baby.

Get all that bloat out of my way so I can code plz.