Hey! I am writing this here mostly to boast as it not directly related to Meteor (but still can be used with)
I am currently working on the React Native project, which due to extensive use of REST exchanges and other reasons write a lot of logs to the console. When you develop with RN, there are two options to collect these logs - remote browser console and adb-based terminal output. I prefer the latter as it allows me to stay always in my favorite IDE w/o switching to the browser. However, the logs representation is so… boring there. I mean that they are all of the same color and, say, ‘error’ does not differ from ‘log’. So the when having a lot of output it all looks like a mess.
To fix that I firstly tried to find ready to go package, which would colorize ‘console’ output. Unfortunately, those modules I have discovered all are relying on TTY, Error object and other Node features not currently available in React Native. So I have spent my day to make own module. Here it is https://www.npmjs.com/package/color-term-console. What it currently does (just copied from my README):
- Log method type color labels (both to the server and browser console);
- JSON objects formatting (condensed and normal) with customizable colors;
- Collapsable logs grouping (console.group* methods);
- Method labels and JSON output color theming;
- Support of the all with the same syntax you use in the browser consoin-browser logging syntax (e.g., console.log( “%cSome text”, “color: green;” ));
- Plays nice with the YelloBox (does not damage it’s ‘error()’ and ‘warn()’ output);
What is does not (yet):
- Detection of the colors support in the terminal. Currently if you lack this support, you will probably see all the escape-sequences;
- No polyfill for the ‘console.table()’ method (Rect Native does it well by itself, but there is a lot of to improve)
And here is the output example:
For sure, this module is usable not just for RN development, but for Meteor and any other Node-based projects.