Bring back the old docs

old docs seems better.

I have old and new open side by side at the moment…

The new docs seem a bit weird when rendering, it feels a bit clunky.Every time it renders, it takes a while, and the side menu text seems to do magical shrinking for some reason.

Much faster navigating to any section with the old docs. Much much much faster. Also does so smoothly… rerendering is jarring in new docs.

Font/text seems harder to read in new docs, everything seems a bit bright/whitewashed. Using full page width makes it harder to read

The coloring of keywords is better in new docs

1 Like

also some links navigate the current page, some links open new pages, and some links do nothing…

I’ve never heard that complaint before. That reference is the exact page I was talking about when I said I think they have the best documentation.

I really like all the content being on the same page as well as all the different languages that implement the calls. I had never run into any performance issues while using that page.

Really? On two separate Macs of mine, that page is very choppy.

EDIT: Safari is smooth as butter. So is Firefox. So it’s a Chrome thing I guess.

EDIT 2: Canary is a little snappier than Chrome, but only marginally.

1 Like

This change to the docs has been a long, long, long time coming. We’ve had tons of ideas for various docs improvements in the past - improved contribution ability, code snippets, inline discussion, smarter search, combining docs from multiple repos/packages, and what have you.

Many of those were blocked (theoretically possible, but too much work and hard to maintain) because of the fact that it was one ultra-long page with sketchy hash URLs, custom JavaScript scrolling, etc. I think this refactoring, while annoying at first because some things are lost, will end up unblocking a ton of great stuff and make the docs a much more valuable resource long term.

1 Like

Hmm… There is some work left to do it seems :wink:

I just went into the guide and searched for an old friend of mine: isAppTest.

Nothing was found. Ctrl-F finds it (because I know where to look) in the “The ‘meteor test’ command” section
(which by the way I cannot link to now because the browser context menu is disabled on the anchor link).

Issue #35 submitted.

Yeah, PLUS ONE for a great search-function.

I LOVED the big-old-docs and the abilite to quickly scan it by Ctrl-F! Right now browsing the docs takes to much brainpower for just searching for the right thing.

1 Like

The search is nice and fast :grin:, but perhaps a format that supports Ctrl+F would be good too. For UX Ctrl+F searching is consistent with the rest of a users web browsing experience, making it more familiar/faster/less frustrating to use.

Also the width of the text should be constrained so as not to fill the entire screen. Ever greater screen resolutions create long horizontal lines that are hard to look at. The readability of limited width is demonstrated on this very nice Disqus forum we’re on.

I know this is obviously subjective, but I actually like the ‘/’ keyboard shortcut to initiate a search. #1, it doesn’t hijack anyone’s search command, and #2, it’s fairly standard (npmjs.com, atmospherejs.com, Firefox search, etc).

4 Likes

Please bring back one page version as a option so we do not loose this feature as we go forward e.g http://docs.meteor.com/#/basic/

I think this should be the default option, it is less userfriendly now because have to click n search cannot just do a find on page. Poor decision making who ever took that imho. One foot forward two steps backward.

2 Likes

+1 that’s a really great idea!

I mostly miss a searchable reference list of all the API methods as docs V1. I feel a lot of methods are now undocumented.

The current docs are a nice addition, but they are more like guides. Not very useful for reference while developing.

I love the new docs, and the navigation! Just wanted to say that. Totally love it.

I like the look of the new docs, no search capability makes it pretty useless IMO. If that were fixed great, otherwise I agree bring back the old site.

The new docs have search capability as of about 17 hours ago, but you’re probably not seeing it because either:

• You’ve loaded it recently and it’s being served entirely from your browser’s appcache – try Incognito/Private browsing for the time-being. This should be fixed soon; or
  • You just missed it as it’s scrolled out of view (just off the top) when you first load the page. There’s an issue open to fix this already.
1 Like

A refresh made the magic happen, thanks for the update!

1 Like

not sure what’s wrong with your trashcan, but you should maybe clean your chrome profile / cache / extensions / temp folder. The stripe docs are great and even work flawless on my iPad incl browser full page search

Disabled extensions, made a new user profile in Chrome… still the same. See for yourself (Firefox on the left, Chrome on the right).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1210363/stripe-API-scroll.mp4

And seeing how so many devs use Chrome, I would personally try to limit how much content is on a single page.

Strange… I use chrome and I have no issues on my Macbook. Well, investigating that further is probably of diminishing returns. Especially since I don’t even need the stripe docs :sweat_smile:.

But I really like them and always prefere - be it online shopping or news articles - to have a button “load on a single page”. I really liked that on the old meteor docs. Though I wrote a quick js injection via a chrome extension to de-highjack my loved CMD + F. The guide is necessary but imo a poor replacement for an API Documentation. That was not too obvious to me during the guide preview.

But maybe I just learned about myself, that I am mostly F’ing docs… anyway…

Is there a link to the old one-page docs? I’m desperate for it, really dislike the new docs which are pretty but useless… :unamused:

2 Likes