CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream

https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

With the recent news of CentOS changing from the CentOS we love and have relied on for years, I figured it would be good to start a discussion here about how this affects the Meteor community.

Personally, I use a minimal Debian server install for all of my “personal” projects… however, for my day job that requires more “enterprise-grade” severs (big-name clients don’t want to hear that you’re running Ubuntu or Debian… They are looking for RHEL), I have been using CentOS 6, 7, and now 8 in production for many years. We just spent the last month or so working on migrating most of our infrastructure to CentOS 8 only to find out that CentOS won’t be respecting their LTS for it. Ugh!

From working on the build scripts for the meteor mongodb-builder I know meteor targets builds on CentOS 7 with devtoolset-8-gcc devtoolset-8-gcc-c++. What should we start targeting now?

TLDR: CentOS as we know it will now be bleeding edge instead of something stable we can rely on in production. Should we focus on targeting a different platform while building? What OS do the majority of meteor servers run on? UGH so many wasted hours migrating to C8!

Edit: This is interesting: Oracle Linux: A better alternative to CentOS

Edit 2: There’s a petition with 3,000+ signatures already Petition · Do not destroy CentOS by using it as a RHEL upstream · Change.org

1 Like