Cheapest email provider

Hi,

I have a project where I’m using mailgun as the email provider. They had a generous free plan but they removed that option a few months ago and now it’s very expensive (I only send a few thousand messages per month).

What’s the cheapest option to replace them? Can I simply create a postfix on a server and add smtp://user:pass@server as the MAIL_URL? Are there other providers with a cheap or free starter plan?

2 Likes

Cheapest third party service is AWS SES: https://aws.amazon.com/ses/

It’s very no-frills and lots of spam gets sent via SES, so you might want to look into ensuring your emails are signed properly etc.
Basically most of the value-add that mailgun / mandrill / sendgrid do will need to be handled by you.
For lower volumes, it’s perfectly fine to skip the advanced deliverability setup.
My experience is that most receivers will allow low volumes from a domain or IP before the advanced rules start to kick in

3 Likes

We use Mailjet. It’s cheap (start for free), and the best thing is it comes with both transactional email templates as well as marketing campaigns. Good API as well.

3 Likes

Sendgrid has a free option:

1 Like

We used SendGrid in the past and switched to Mailgun - very happy with the latter. FYI, SG seems to have a spam problem: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24317634

1 Like

[quote=“csiszi, post:1, topic:53953”]
They had a generous free plan but they removed that option a few months ago and now it’s very expensive (I only send a few thousand messages per month).
[/quote]And I thought we’re the only one hit by their price increase/change of free plan.

Their customer service sucks big time on top, had to interact with them when our emails that we send were no longer visible/accessible.

So yeah, hopping on the bandwaggon to hear what alternatives others are using and ready to jump board.

We’re using Sparkpost here. Slightly more effort to get started than sendgrid but has a level of customization that suits our needs