Chrome 59 touch events issue

Hello,

I am part of a team developing a website with a drag-drop activity.
The code only handles mouse events (no touch-specific events) because we have a special js file that handles iOS devices, and we did not have issues with other mobile devices.

Two days ago my colleague opened the website with his smartphone (android) on the latest chrome browser and now all of a sudden the drag-drop activity behaves weirdly. (Scrolling is not disabled when starting to drag and the element being dragged is not where the finger of the user is - because scrolling is still working).

Yesterday I had my tablet with an older version of Chrome and opened the website and it was working okay.
Then updated to the latest version of Chrome and it no longer behaved normally.
So we are assuming that it is a problem with Chrome changing something about touch events in their last 1-2 versions.

Does anyone have any idea abut what we could do to fix the issue or what might be causing the problem that was not happening until Chrome v59

Here is the code we use to detect the drag-start (working until latest Chrome update and is still working with other browsers).

"dragstart .dd-img-wrapper": function(evt) {
	evt.currentTarget.style.opacity = '1.0';
	evt.originalEvent.dataTransfer.effectAllowed = 'move';
	evt.originalEvent.dataTransfer.setData('text/html', $(evt.currentTarget).html());
	$.dragActivity.draggedElement = evt.currentTarget;
},

I would report it here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

I’ve had good luck getting confirmation and feedback about bugs; many times the fix is already in the pipeline, but can be a few releases away. Still good to know that it’s not your code =)

Hello,
Thank you for the response. I will try posting an issue there and see what happens. Thanks!

1 Like