Cloning Fullstack.io's React Tutorial in Meteor: a Meteor 1.3 Tutorial

Hey guys,

someone recently linked me to Fullstack.io’s React Tutorial, which walks us through the process of building a simple Yelp clone in React, using a modern stack with Webpack and all the bells and whistles.

I’ve been meaning to learn React, so I thought “cool! I’ll give that a shot.”

Half an hour later, I still hadn’t written a single line of code, but I’d already installed over 20 NPM modules and wrote a ton of configuration files whose purpose was completely alien to me.

So I said to myself, “dang, I bet I can do that faster in Meteor!” — And that’s how the idea for this tutorial was born.

Well, it turned out to take much longer, of course, but that’s mostly because once I decided I was going to go through with it, I wanted to do it the right way — so I took it as an opportunity to really learn Meteor 1.3, and while I’m at it, write proper tests for (almost) everything. You know, just like the React guys are doing.

So without further ado, here’s the result. The app is basically feature complete at this point. The tutorial should be considered a first draft. I think it’s mostly complete, but there may be a few errors (mostly spelling) here and there.

Would love for you guys to take a look and tell me what you think!

BTW, the app is up on Heroku here if you want to give it a spin.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy!

11 Likes

Thanks. Fun read.
I think this should be the official tut :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the praise @pal. TBH I haven’t read the new version of the official tutorial. In fact, I’m not even sure if I read the old version. But I’m glad you enjoyed it. :smiley:

1 Like

Your welcome - witty and a great intro to Meteor
We get so hung up on the pain points, we forget how simple and brilliant Meteor really is
Surprised it’s not getting more love here.

@pal I got a bunch of love on Twitter. Many retweets in fact. I was really looking for feedback on how to improve though. As I said, I consider this a draft, not a finished product.

1 Like

I’m sure we would be thrilled to feature this on our website once it’s done!

Hey, really nice work. Are there any updates on this project? Looks extremely useful.