Compile Meteor to Webassembly Binary

I do not pretent to know what I am talking about but how cool would that be if you could target a webassembly build just as easy as you target, electron, cordova etc.

I know you’d be converting JS to a truly compiled binary but it would be supremely cool and awesome etc.

Is anyone working on this per chance?

1 Like

What kinds of benefits would you get? I think it would actually be slower to run - JavaScript is actually super fast.

2 Likes

And AFAIK, it’s not currently possible to compile javascript to WASM, and the dynamic typing would probably provide no great benefit, also loosing dynamic recompilation where appropriate.

Well I was thinking for some tasks WASM is potentially better - like since you get parallel processing you could do some interesting things with video etc. Also a compiled binary might be smaller than raw JS files to upload although with the new dynamic file loading in 1.5 that’s a moot point.

Maybe WASM is less a replacement a more an enhancement to JS allowing us to do certain things better.

1 Like

Would be fun to have a toolchain add ons that build wasm files that can be dynamically imported.

The wasm import syntax is almost the same (save one instance level) as dynamic imports.