Consistent frustration when searching for Meteor documentation

As a developer, I am often searching for documentation of Meteor core features. Many times, I will follow links that have either been deprecated or simply end up rendering the top level documentation (despite having a specific section ID). This means I have to search a second time within the documentation, when the initial link or search result should have pointed me directly to the relevant section.

I have opened an issue on the Meteor issue tracker. My apologies if the issue is misguided, but this seems largely related to the use of a navigation frame (or similar method).

You should try devdocs.io.
Once installed in your browser, it’s the fastest way to search (installed) documentation, imho.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, this is really cool, i’ve just replaced about 5 pinned tabs with the one! I don’t know how they could do this programatically, must be some sort of custom crawler for each Docs site. Too bad it’s missing MongoDB docs…

@vjau: That is awesome! :smile:

Wow, thanks!! Never heard of that before!

I use devdocs.io all the time, and it is fantastic. Meteor’s docs are okay, but the toggle for “full documentation” and simple documentation is a pain.

One thing that you may have missed on docs.meteor.com - just start typing what you are looking for… Like template or something. Filters the docs down.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion :smiley:

You could also have a look at https://zealdocs.org

It has search functionallity, is available offline and auto-updates docsets. Available for Windows, Unix/Linux, Mac. Looking at devdocs.io I found that it doesn’t has Jade whereas zeal/dash provides the Jade docset as well :slight_smile: