Could someone explain what are the real advantages of using Galaxy?

I currently deploy my apps with mup or mupx or heroku.

I’ve been seeing posts about Galaxy makes things much easier, etc but from my research I haven’t seen like a real advantage to pay $30/m for the first tier package.

Would love to know from other Galaxy expert or experienced user to show me what are the real advantages of using Galaxy instead of heroku or a vps with mup or mupx?

Thanks!

Hi
I’m using Galaxy and Compose.
I think finally you can reach lower devops cost.
I don’t care about managing DB, server , updates
and also with galaxy you have a good server monitoring tool and very easy deployment
Also scaling is very easy.
Galaxy is a little expensive but you pay as you go, so just create an account and use it for one day and pay for one day. then decide which solution is better for you.

It’s really easy to use. No buildpacks, no workarounds for Meteor-specific stuff, guaranteed to work with the next build (have had glitches when updating on Heroku & I think that mup sometimes has issues as well after new releases). Free one-click SSL. Barely have to even look at it or do anything. One-line deployment. Plus as a user of Meteor I want to support MDG in any way I can to ensure they keep development of Meteor. I don’t have the framework knowledge to really contribute to Meteor on the open source side, so I definitely support products they put out, even if they are slightly more expensive. You can have an app up in 5 minutes.

As soon as you start to need a full container or two for your app, the cost really isn’t too bad. One thing I would like to see improved is some sort of direct link between my Galaxy and Compose accounts, but that isn’t too big a deal. Also, a free staging server for people that have paid apps that works similar to Heroku’s free dyno tier would be nice. Other than that, I don’t know what more you could ask for from it.

4 Likes

I know one of the big benefits is that galaxy can maintain an open connection to your active users when you push a new version of your app, and seemlessly updates those active users. I believe with other solutions you have to disconnect your users when you push a new version.

Also, I’ve noticed that my galaxy containers seem to consistently perform better than heroku dynos. My galaxy containers regularly are running 300mb of memory lighter than my heroku dynos (no idea why or if that’s just for me).

1 Like

I think anyone working on production (or even beta) apps can pretty easily justify the $30/mo when thinking about DevOps.

Mup and something like digital ocean are great if you’re

a) just a hobbyist

or

b) completely bootstrapped with little or no financial resources

But as soon as your dev hours = $$$, you’ll find that debugging mup on a meteor update or trying to figure out docker images just isn’t worth it.

5 Likes

Focus and Opportunity Costs

As a small business owner, I want my engineers to spend all their time where it counts: adding value for our customers.

Every hour they spend on server-related issues which could easily be outsourced to experts, is an hour they could have spent creating new and improving existing products and services for our customers. It’s basically the same reason we pay experts to do our taxes.

4 Likes