Create a public method for a template

Hi,

How can I create a template public method?

For example:

<template name="coolModal">
  <div id="{{id}}" class="rz-modal">
    <div>
      <a href="#close" title="Close" class="close">X</a>
      <h2>{{title}}</h2>
      <p>
        {{> UI.contentBlock}}
      </p>
    </div>
  </div>
</template>

And on the js file of this template, I want to have some method that performs some action on this template. Something like:

on the page where I want the modal to show:

{#coolModal id="board-create" title="Create Board"}}
    <div>Some random text</div>
{{/coolModal}}

Calling:

Template.coolModal.show();

What I have right now is something like this:

Template.coolModal.show = function(el){
  $(el).animate({
    opacity:1
  }, 500);
};

But it does not seam to work.

Can anybody explain me what I’m doing wrong? thanks

Narven, I’d recommend you to do the official tutorial for Meteor, there’s a nice explanation on how to make such things. Imho that should be the first step to do before starting to write any Meteor code by yourself.

https://www.meteor.com/tutorials/blaze/creating-an-app

In particular, you’ll get to know from there about helpers and events. Helper is a method that lets you get a state from your JS file. Here’s an example of a helper that returns a simple string:

Template.coolModal.helpers({
  example: "This is a string but it can be everything else, f.e. a reactive variable or a document from the database"
});

Event is called when you perform some action on template, f.e. you click a button to initialize a modal.

Template.coolModal.events({
  "click button.class": function (event) {
    console.log("Somebody clicked a button with class "class", what should I do?")
  }
});

Also, if you will want to make it global, available in all templates, use a global helper.

Thanks, but I already know all of that.

I didnt know that you could from one template call a method on another template using the helpers like that.

And the stuff that ur say, does not work.

To my knowledge helpers and events work inside the template they are attached. not outside.

Sorry. I tried to understand what you meant in your message by rereading it carefully some 3-4 times, but it seems like I failed. The line that was the least understandable for me was in particular:

And on the js file of this template, I want to have some method that performs some action on this template.

Because any way I tried to read it, it sounded like you want a helper that works inside, not outside of the template context. Well, I’ll put the blame on my poor English.

Anyways, what I suggest you is a global helper, as it will work in every template. You declare it with:

Template.registerHelper('helperName', function () {
  // do something here
});

And then you can simply call it from any template.

Sorry, my english also suc…s

how about @narven create a template that receives an argument then use it on every template that you want…

{{>coolmodal }}

<template name="coolmodal>
{{helper}}

Template.coolmodal.helpers({
helper : function (argument) {
return “this what will return from the {{helper}} and will replace {{>coolmodal}}” + argument + “<-this is argument”
}
});

so if you do

{{>coolmodal "this is it!!"}}

the results will be returning the strings like below…

this what will return from the {{helper}} and will replace {{>coolmodal}} this is it!<-this is argument

I am sorry for my english too… i just want to share and hope i can help you… have a nice day :smile:

There are always packages like Blaze Components or Template-Extensions that make sharing events between templates a much easier thing.

@brajt that Blaze Components looks nice, going to take a look at it.

thanks