Deploying to Galaxy without rebuild

Hi all! I’ve been using Meteor and Galaxy for a while, but I still haven’t 100% wrapped my head around the deployment process.
Specifically, why is it that my app gets rebuilt on Galaxy after I’ve uploaded a built and minified bundle as part of running meteor deploy?
This is causing problems with hot-code pushes to my Cordova app, in addition to (IMO) needlessly increasing the time it takes to deploy a new version.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give here.

afaik it doesn’t do a Meteor rebuild, rather it creates a unique docker image for your application which involves installing npm packages in production mode and recompiling any architecture specific code.

5 Likes

Exactly as @hexsprite said. For the full details, see the Build time behavior section of the Galaxy docs.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what it looks like. So, to your knowledge, would there be any way to use a tarball that I’ve built myself, including npm dependencies, or my own Docker image? Or would I need to set up my own hosting to do that?

Galaxy does support custom base images, which is documented in the Galaxy Guide here:

2 Likes

Thank you! Somehow I missed that :roll_eyes: