Direct question: Is Apollo a pivoting movement?

Hi everyone,

Is Apollo a pivoting movement or a parallel project to MDG? I mean, is MDG persevering on Meteor or is pivoting towards Apollo?

I hope no one gets mad with this question. I’m just a hobbist coder, other stuff pays my bills, so i’m too noob for trying any double meaning or insinuation. This is not meant to be a you-name-it-is-dying-post. It’s simply a question from a business point of view.

2 Likes

My personal opinion is that MDG is putting a lot of developer hours into Apollo right now to get it into a production-ready state. However, I don’t believe that Meteor will be abandoned, although I wouldn’t expect much in the way of new MongoDB functionality making its way into minimongo, unless it’s from the community. Expect Apollo to be the way Meteor’s data layer is materialized going forward.

As @sashko’s stated on a related topic:

Look out for Meteor 1.5, which will give us a clean Apollo integration.

7 Likes

We’re focusing most on where we can provide the most value for the overall developer community. Data loading is where we have the most expertise, and where the overall ecosystem could be most improved. So we’re simultaneously building a new data system for Meteor developers which will be able to query from any backend, and a data system for the rest of the world which gives them a taste of the declarative loading and reactivity Meteor developers have enjoyed for so long.

There are some great projects in JavaScript, like React and Angular 2, which are making our job much simpler – MDG no longer has to do anything to make developing UIs much easier. So that’s why we are focusing most on data and build systems right now.

And as you can read on the forums, it’s much better to have a data system that can be used anywhere – any UI or backend – than one that is coupled to a specific server framework.

14 Likes

Which reminds me, @sashko:

Will the basic accounts-package be updated/rewritten/replaced with an Apollo one for 1.5?

Because I’m a bit loathe to reinvent the wheel :slight_smile:

Just an advice to listen to transmission 14, as shasko gives lot of details on this subject.

5 Likes

That’s certainly nice but I don’t really like talks or videos about technical stuff.

The ratio of interesting to uninteresting stuff usually tends to be 1:10 for me.

Sorry the format isn’t optimal for you.

Anyway, we’ve never shipped a release that intentionally requires people to significantly change their apps, and this will be no different.

6 Likes

You seem impatient. Is that true? Meditation helps me a lot.

I vaguely recall mention that there’s a desire to get accounts (and other packages) specifically for GraphQL around the 1.5 timeframe, but I imagine when exactly this lands will depend on how many people are helping move it along. I also would love to get accounts out of the box, it’s possible I could contribute some code.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. That was crystal clear.

2 Likes

EDIT:

MDG is pivoting to Apollo and divesting in Meteor – to what extent and at what rate is still in question.

Please see this comment.

That’s not correct - we are working on Meteor full time, and Apollo is a tool that will make Meteor developers lives better. It’s the resolution to tons of feedback from past, current, and potential Meteor devs about the inability to access other data sources and control their data stack’s performance.

There’s much more to Meteor’s success as a platform and community than commits on a single repository, and we’ve been working tirelessly on it.

8 Likes

… and just like that @sashko restores our faith in MDG, and makes everything right in the Meteor world again. What a great comment!

5 Likes

Personally, I think we need to define was pivoting means.

Does it mean abandoning Meteor in favor of Apollo? I highly doubt it.

If it means re-allocating some resources to move from a mature project such as Meteor (where the community will take a larger part) to Apollo, then integrating the two. Absolutely! And I think it’s a great thing and reinforces my faith in Meteor (and soon when Apollo integration is smoothed out in Meteor 1.5, move over to that).

And as @sashko mentioned before, many of the modules in Meteor were the result of community involvement. Many here have taken things for free, give back by improving things. I just made my first code contribution here with this PR where I was able to improve Blaze performance by quite a bit! [hoping it gets pulled into main Blaze repo to benefit all]

2 Likes

And this you posted right after MDG stating that this is not the case. Geeze.

1 Like

I’m not going to perpetuate talk about this subject anymore, so I won’t be posting anymore responses to this – go back and reread what I wrote, I stand by it.

We need to focus on being positive and helpful from now on!

1 Like