Does meteor work for large applications?

Does meteor work for large applications?

I mean the high number of ricochets
Or high number of users
Or publish number and high subscriptions

Thank you for any transfer of experience

How big do you recommend meteor for software?
Can it be used for a long time? Is it reliable for a long time?

@saeeed there is no simple answer to this, other than “it depends…”

Do you mean a high number of concurrent users, or just a lot of users in the database?

I have no idea whet you mean by ricochets, unless these are updates - do you mean it’s a rapidly changing data set?

What you will need to do is consider performance in each of your use cases. It may be ok to use pub/sub in some cases, eg small numbers of records being displayed.

A reactive ui is a fantastic thing, personally I prefer to take advantage of it where possible. Meteor makes it possible to either use it, or use Meteor methods to fetch the data. One technique is to define a single record, to which your UI subscribes, and when the UI needs to be updated, the server can update that record, and useTracker fires, and the front end can fetch the data again. This is an effective way of achieving a reactive UI, without the need for possibly large and therefore expensive subscriptions.

And that is the crux of the long answer, in that you need to design the way your application fetches data on a case by case basis. The good news is that much of your application code doesn’t need to concern itself with that, so if you hit a performance problem and need to make changes, the impact is small.

3 Likes

Hi @saeeed, this question is almost the same as asking: Does Node.js work for large applications? Or even Java. Any tool would work, but it also depends on your code a lot.

Meteor is a group of packages on top of Node.js in runtime.

Also, we have many study cases in our blog and talks in Meteor Impact about that.

We have Galaxy clients running thousands of containers to serve millions of users, so Meteor works for large apps. Over these last ten years, we have had many running apps in production with Meteor on a large scale.

I don’t see any limits in size for Meteor apps.

The question should be: Is Node.js the best technology to implement a specific application? As Meteor doesn’t add new constraints. And different software architects can have different answers for particular cases.

7 Likes

First of all, I agree with what @filipenevola said – Meteor is just a framework built on top of Node.js – nothing less, nothing more. I agree with it so much, that I actually had a talk with this idea in mind on Meteor Impact 2021: Many faces of performance in Meteor (it’s recorded).

Also, I have some first-hand experience with Meteor at scale, which only proves the above point. You can check it out here:

To sum up: yes, Meteor does work for large applications.

6 Likes