🎮 Feedback Request for the Upcoming Meteor Toys 3

Hey everyone,

I’m getting my hands dirty with the Meteor Toys 3 launch. I started a couple of months ago, but then an injury, distractions, and the JavaScript fatigue made it a better decision to pause.

I’ve heard some concerns about them being coupled to Blaze, which I will address in the coming release. Are there any other concerns that may have been overlooked?

Features-wise, what are some thing that you would like to see, or that you think are missing?

Marketing-wise, is it clear that they are sold as a bundle of tools for individual use, and what the tools do?

And overall, I would love to hear how you think they should improve and where you think they should go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious, what’s the strategy for decoupling?

Hi Max,

First of all, I love the tools. Especially throttle and listen are the ones that gives that lil’ bit extra.

Are there any other concerns that may have been overlooked?

Would be nice if you give a big fat notice in the change log :smile:

Features-wise, what are some thing that you would like to see, or that you think are missing?

A little bit of React and Vue love.

Marketing-wise, is it clear that they are sold as a bundle of tools for individual use, and what the tools do?

Yes, the animated GIF’s are great and the descriptions are just direct as they should be. No confusion there. Would love to see a lots of tools. You know, Pokemon, gotta collect them all?

And overall, I would love to hear how you think they should improve and where you think they should go.

How about a benchmark toy (time to load) and fake data toy?

Meteor Toys should transition to being a Chrome extension or browser add-on of some kind that lives in the inspector, where all your other dev tools are. Most of our team has stopped using it mainly because of the weird in-page globe UI. I think if you move it out of there and into a tab in the inspector similar to Angular and React’s extensions you’ll have more breathing room and a more intuitive user experience.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Yeah, I’d second the idea of moving them into a Chrome extension. Or into Atom packages, which would further the isomorphic Atom IDE project. Or both.

React is good, but hedge your bets. They’re different markets. It’s not an either-or situation for you as the Meteor Toys developers; even though most people purchasing it will consider it an either-or.

React already has some pretty solid dev tools.

I’d say continue to focus on the parts of the Meteor stack that are harder to visualize / control / get-productive-with. The nice thing about the approach you’ve used for Meteor Toys is that you (the dev tool developer) have access to, and control over, the full development stack.

3 Likes

Hey guys, just to give you a hint, there’s already a work in progress on Meteor DevTools extension (check out the devel branch - btw, the demo gif is from an old version).

I plan to release it one of these days, but there are still a lot of bugs to squash :wink:

SWEET. So excited someone got around to the Chrome extension. Thank you much, Miro!

2 Likes

Is there a way to freeze the inspector (blueprint)? I love being able to see the data context for each template, but if there’s a lot of data, I can’t scroll up or down in the inspector panel since moving my mouse over to the panel causes the panel to focus on a different template. If there’s no way to freeze the inspector, this would be a great feature to add!

this project looks dead (no commits in 2 years) but FWIW it looked great

The project is alive, its just closed source. Blueprint can be frozen with Control + S, or maybe it was Control + F