Fully functional Tinder interface in 150 lines of code: Meteor-React-Ionic

I’ve been on a tear with Meteor-React lately, and I must say I’m now 100% sold on React. Building a fully functional Tinder interface took me about 4 hours of effort and 150 lines of code, and it’s so easily maintainable!

You can read more about it here, or check out the repo here.

8 Likes

Thanks so much for this series - I really appreciate it as a newbie to React and Ionic
4 hours for you - but it will be my weekend study.

You’re welcome! It was a fun project :slight_smile:

Also, if you can think of any other features you’d like to learn now to implement, let me know! I’m always looking for future topics.

1 Like

I think imprroving performance of this code would be interesting. It is somehow laggy on ios.

There are a ton of optimizations on the deploy branch :smile:

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Looks awesome.
I haven’t tried anything with React yet.
Am I the only one thats totally confused by how the react code is structured?
Like these snippets:

:neutral_face:

Is it HTML mixed in with JS? Reminds me of PHP. :smile:

1 Like

I think everyone who uses React goes through a phase of… yuck!, why is this so popular, then ooooooh, and finally… brilliant! This short video explains it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgVS-zXgMTk

I hated it myself until I used it in React Native. It also felt better because there isn’t dogma with mixing views and logic with iOS.

Also technically it’s not HTML. The <div foo='bar'> parts are actually sugar for function calls. For instance here’s what a form de-sugars to:

// before
<form>
  <input type='email'>
  <input type='password' ref='pass'>
  <input type='submit' value='go'>
  <div>{ this.state.errMsgContent }</div>
</form>
// after
React.createElement("form",  {onSubmit: this.handleSubmit},
  React.createElement("input", {type: "email"}),
  React.createElement("input", {type: "password", ref='pass'}),
  React.createElement("input", {type: "submit", value: "go"}),
  React.createElement("div", null, this.state.errMsgContent)
);

You can actually just write the latter if that’s preferred.

I like JSX because you can abstract away things like bootstrap classes into something like:

<row>
  <column width='4'>
    Foo
  </column>
  <column width='8'>
    Bar
  </column>
</row>

2 Likes

Just for you @geritol, I wrote another article on how you can optimize for iOS

Let me know if you have any more questions! I’m happy to help.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m with @SkinnyGeek1010. I resisted it at first, but once I started getting into it, I realized that it’s really awesome! Especially when it comes to maintainability, since the functions that are relevant to a particular component live in that component rather than in some random part of a javascript file.

I found this article really compelling. Check it out if you have time:

2 Likes

Thanks for the awesome reply!
Sorry I did read it and I checked out that video.
It has gotten me very intrigued and I am keen to learn more about how this might change meteor…

I think I need to get my head around it a bit more but it does sound pretty awesome!

1 Like

@samcorcos thank you a TON for this tutorial. As someone who’s not new to Meteor, but who is new to Ionic & React, it’s helping me immensely.

Question, to make sure I’m understanding this correctly: is the full speed & optimization of this app only realized in the native app environment?

I’m running the demo (tinderclone.meteor.com) in Chrome on my Nexus 6 and it’s a bit laggy. But it seems like Ionic is intended to take advantage of hardware acceleration on mobile devices, so can I expect better performance once compiled into a native app?

EDIT: to clarify, it runs magnificently in desktop Chrome in the devtool’s Nexus 6 emulator. But not so much in Chrome on the actual Nexus 6.

I’m asking because I want to apply these ideas to an app that will be both native and web-based, so I’m wondering what kind of performance folks on the mobile web can expect.

EDIT 2: I realized the sluggishness was because of the box-shadow Ionic applies to its cards. Take that out, and it works like a champ! Thanks again Sam!!

Good to know! Thanks @m52go

I’ve tried to add this awesome feature to the cards but I cant get it…
Any thoughts?