Help Tiny: What would it take for you to use Galaxy? (VERY IMPORTANT!)

The question is, if the free tier fits into the upcoming business model. It draws many back to the community (which is great) but not necessarily to Galaxy.

If there would be a budget tier, I would use it to show off some projects.

However, an education tier (students, schools etc) or an open source tier (coupled to an GitHub account/project) would also be interesting!

4 Likes

Not a big fan of Galaxy, itā€™s rather expensive compared to the competition. And I really donā€™t like a framework that looks like it only works well with its own hosting platform. Itā€™s not good for adoption.

Iā€™d personally prefer Tiny to support and extend MUP so that Meteor can be deployed anywhere by anyone at ease. Turn it into something similar like https://forge.laravel.com/ or https://envoyer.io/, including Kubernetes support.

Imo that would greatly increase Meteorā€™s changes for adoption, while also allowing people to run Meteor on cheap instances for hobby projects - something that is requested a lot.

6 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t find meteor hard to deploy at all. Running meteor build gives you a plain node project, then you can host that however you please.

For example, to deploy I just use this: https://www.npmjs.com/package/deploy-app. It builds, uploads, then restarts the server.

Config file for an example:

{
    "prod": {
      "user": "cereal",
      "host": "example.com",
      "port": "22",
      "files": "../project.tar.gz",
      "path": "~/",
      "pre-deploy-local": "meteor build ../",
      "post-deploy":
        "nvm use v8.15.1; rvm use default; tar -xzf ~/project.tar.gz -C ~/tmp; cp -rf ~/tmp/bundle/* ~/project; cd ~/project/programs/server; npm install; passenger-config restart-app ~/project
    },
    "dev": {},
    "staging": {}
}
5 Likes

a $5 tierā€” doesnā€™t even need a free tier. With this you could host 20 ā€œexample/sandbox/testing/MVPā€ apps and itā€™d only cost you $100/month.

For comparison right now itā€™s just under $30 per app at the cheapest so 20 apps would cost you almost $600, which is obviously too much for some side projects with 2 visitors a month.

Also becoming HIPAA compliant. Maybe they could get some pre-signups for a HIPAA tier to make sure itā€™s worth their investment (I bet it is).

4 Likes

In the end supporting MUP is ideal, but does meteor have any value to a company without galaxy?

1 Like

Name one framework that needs its own dedicated hosting platform to be valuableā€¦

1 Like

I would like to have the settings controlled by the platform and not deployed with the app.
Among teams who do not have CI and everyone can deploy, you have to be certain that you have the correct version. Solution exists for that but looking at what wavehosting does has been a better flow for us.

My understanding was galaxy is the main revenue generating asset that was purchased.

2 Likes

Meteor-the-framework is valuable in of itself, but hosting is the primary way Meteor-the-company makes money. Mongo is similar. Mongo-the-db is valuable in of itself, but Atlas (their db hosting service) is one of the primary ways Mongo-the-company makes money.

1 Like

We really need a branding initiative to distinguish Meteor-the-tech-stack from Meteor-the-compiler from Meteor-the-company.

9 Likes

Get Galaxy run with Meteor accounts that donā€™t require local storage for storing login token, so apps can pass basic security audits and make Meteor more interesting to corporate customers.

This came up due to this related post:
https://forums.meteor.com/t/security-dont-store-tokens-in-localstorage/

2 Likes

This would open up HTTP/REST as an option for using Meteor accounts.

Thanks @veered for this thread

• If your target audience is small teams, you should make it turnkey: bundle MongoDB (charge more of course). That would bring on board smaller teams focused on results (a bit like what Digital Ocean does. Itā€™s nothing special, except itā€™s made for smaller teams)
  • Auto-scaling with EBS would bring in the bigger players (integrate redis-oplog)
  • Documentation: make it super easy to start and deploy a new project with sample boilerplates (e.g. no hard-coding of MongoDB URL ā€“ since we are using Galaxy it should automatically connect to the DB associated with the install)
  • APM ā€“ Kadira needs some love and very few of us have the bandwidth to invest. The code is AWFUL, needs to be cleaned up and made production-grade

PS: You donā€™t have to host your own MongoDB instances for now, you could work with a third-party provider and have an API into a common Galaxy interface

2 Likes

:smiley: I made a wireframe / design concept for a sprint planning userstory. It seems like a relatively small ask.

8 Likes
  • Autoscaling definitely

• Actual responses to Support questions would be nice too

I am not a deep core programmer knowing well how to install a stack and make sure all is compatible. I wish to start a real life live version of my project. But I wish to use some technologies together because I feel there is an advantage using them. Not knowing how to put them together, I postpone rather than begin right now.

In my case it would be using Nuxt.js with Vue.js, Meteor.js and Grapher.js (that uses GraphQL). About grapher: Grapher - Collection Relationship Manager + GraphQL Like Data Fetcher.

I would also use d3.js as drawing for dashboards, such as drawing arrows or links or anything around/between data nodes that would be served by their own template. etc. So, 3 levels of technologies that implement a sort of data reactive frontend (Vue, Meteor and d3). It sounds redundant, these 3 levels of reactivity.

About Galaxy, it would be cool to have such bundle already maintained and a prototyping/low volume usage pricing for starting websites before they generate incomes.

Again great to see the engagement of the community. I would assume Tiny wont bet all on Galaxy. It is simply a no-go for most large companies solutions to get locked in to a single hosting.cloudā€¦ Good leverage when using the momentum the Tiny acquisition brought is key (one off) and deserves enough time for some market analysis together with the community feedbacks. I much hope the journey will be successful.

2 Likes

Lol, adding the button is, but thatā€™s not the feature you want. You want a JSON editor. But Meteor settings are loaded as Node ENV variables when starting Meteor. So to update these settings it needs to restart your server upon save. Then you save and found out you made a mistake, and suddenly your Stripe integration doesnā€™t work anymore but you canā€™t figure it out. Oops!

And so your wireframe button becomes something quite complex :smile:

1 Like

Remember days back ago when it was possible to upload examples built with meteor for free. Pretty sure at some point it really helped with organic grow of meteor users. This is especially useful for community created packages and examples.

1 Like

Galaxy is great, but too expensive !!
For this reason Iā€™m looking for another option to deploy, Zeit Now look fine, and offer a free tier option.

If Galaxy stay with this high price, sure lots of people will leave it, like meā€¦

Also, an autoscale should be awesome, lots of people are also waiting for this feature since a long time.

Edit:
meteor-now is now deprecated, moved to meteor-hero with heroku : https://github.com/jkrup/meteor-hero

3 Likes