Help Tiny: What would it take for you to use Galaxy? (VERY IMPORTANT!)

MeteorPad, or similar, to showcase applications made with MeteorJS

3 Likes

I remember there was lots of waste when there was a free deploy, because lots of us didn’t realize the cost was so high…Could a limit on deployed free apps per account, or at least a $3 / month or small app charge create a natural way to limit apps to actual apps that can help with marketing vs just tinkering around and forgetting to un-deploy…?

1 Like

removing “meteor deploy” was a huge downer and set me on a journey learning a lot about deploying meteor apps. i mostly used heroku from then on. unfortunately, meteor is still a bit painful to deploy. so when I wanted to return on a professional project, willing to pay money for time saving and stability, I realized that galaxy was way too expensive and inflexible, so I learned more about deploying myself.
Bringing back “meteor deploy” and making it easy to scale from prototype testing to business app would be great. Also all the meteor specific features like spotting typical meteor performance probs (this can be a huge time saver). galaxy is still the only meteor specific hoster that I know but I didn’t understand for which customers it’s prices were designed for (probably not for someone like me who creates lots of prototypes, event-based apps, sometimes requiring rapid scalability, does creative coding).

4 Likes

Hello @tomvamos, I don’t know exactly how it was in the past but for sure support is open to questions and we are responding all the questions ASAP (less than 1 business day for sure).

If you need any help please send a support message for Galaxy. :wink:

hi @docforce can you describe better what was happening from Mac? I’m using Galaxy for many years and I already deployed from a Mac many times, curious to understand what was the issue.

Hi @james and @philipmjohnson, premium support is already offered for Galaxy and Meteor itself

See the topics on GALAXY SUPPORT PRICING and METEOR DEVELOPER SUPPORT PRICING on
https://www.meteor.com/pricing

Was getting errors with building more complex packages, likely ones that built binaries, that resulted in code that wasn’t runnable when it reached the Linux machine on the Galaxy side. Galaxy should be doing the builds inside its own Linux environment, rather than building on the local machine and then pushing up. Building on Mac and then running on Linux is a recipe for disaster.

2 Likes

That’s good to know … thanks.

Hi, we read all the comments here and we are considering everything in our next steps on Galaxy.

And yes, one thing I can say for sure, Galaxy is going to receive new features and updates.

17 Likes

Would like to add SourceMaps to the conversation (though I suppose that is more a core Meteor thing rather than a Galaxy specific thing)

2 Likes

Yes, that has been repeatedly mentioned in the other threads.

@filipenevola Is there going to be public roadmap for Galaxy as well?

3 Likes

Hi Tiny. Thanks for taking on Meteor.

I have been developing using Meteor, part-time, since Meteor 1.0.

I’m sort of a lone wolf. I was a c developer (employee) in the 80s and 90s, but had personal projects i wanted to do. In the 90s I developed shareware apps by myself in C then C++ for windows. To distribute the apps, i first used ‘bulletin boards’, but got a website up in straight HTML in 95, then in Drupal around 2001. I learned enough apache and linux that i finally hosted my sites myself in my own basement on a highspeed connection.
To feed me, i did Drupal and C++ consulting work part time, and one of my Drupal projects bogged down just because of complexity. This was just as Meteor came out. I convinced the client to move to Meteor and did a demo in front of their board in 3 weeks, of the basics of their web app - but now re-written in Meteor yet still hosted myself. We immediately moved the whole app to Meteor - for flexibility!
I never got mup to work, but followed the instructions by digital ocean to self-host.
I now have a dozen meteor apps, self-hosted, most of them also ‘tiny’ apps :wink: but never considered Galaxy, because i’m a coder for life. I like writing ‘mini-webapps’, mostly demos and scientifc stuff - not mass audience stuff.
I guess I’m probably old school, still do coding for the fun of it, not for profit, so a service to host seemed expensive for my experiments.
Perhaps you could provide a free galaxy service for people that don’t automatically assume they will get 1000 visitors/hour to their sites.
I now have about 12 sites, most non-commercial, so I can’t justify a paid service - but if the service is free for low-traffic sites, you might get people to move, and then they would more likely move to a paid service if they eventually have ‘a hit’.
Two of my experiments now have good traffic, but I’m hosting myself since I now know how to.
Most reasonable people recognize that their chance of having a ‘hit product’ online is often a matter of luck, and will find other free solutions until they need the service - but if they have learned to host themselves, they will never need the service you provide.
But let them host their low-traffic sites for free, and they will move up to your paid service when they need it.
Its the ‘freemium’ model and it works.

6 Likes

For me it’s clear that pricing is an issue, but also as already mentioned by other:

• mongodb addon
  • CI linked with github

I personnaly use clever-cloud (btw @eric-burel it’s french hosting) and they have cheap plan (get started for less than 10€ a month), scaling, CI with github, live quick support, free shared mongodb… and I think Galaxy could get lot of inspiration from them.

2 Likes

The problem with clever-cloud is you have to buy a new mongo addon for every app, but other than that it’s a good option. I trialed it for a bit.

the free one is pretty good for lot of cases. Also you could use one instance for multiple app. I actually have one DB connected to 2 apps because they shared data, but don’t see why I couldn’t use the same mongo for different projects the same way

I just want analytics, our company would pay handsomely for that, we now have to manage kadira, we can’t move our environment.