Help with "frozeman/meteor-build-client" tool

Hi everyone! :grinning:

I have been working for some time working with Meteor, and developing for different platforms such as smartwatches and TVs. Recently I was interested in knowing if it is possible to have a Meteor application running only on client side.

After making some research I found the frozeman/meteor-build-client project, which is exactly what I was looking for. However, when using the tool I get the project bundled with its index.html; but when opening it on my browser this is what I get:

Oops, looks like there’s no route on the client or the server for url: “file:///C:/Users/ahc/Desktop/meteor-local-bundle/index.html.”

I have tried by changing the iron router configuration with no results, so I suspect I am doing it wrong. In the project page of the build client it is mentioned something in the last section, related to how to deal with routes, but I don’t get it at all :sweat:

Can you help me to figure out what I am doing wrong with the tool or how to make to have Meteor running only on client side?

Are you testing with Chrome? If so there was a related discussion in the Iron Router repo a little while back, that might help:

Hi, thanks for your answer! Not only with Chrome, but Firefox too, and I get the same error. Using Meteor 1.3.5 in my project.

Try to build without absolute path like

meteor-build-client .build -p \"\" -s settings.json

also you could use a ;ittle hack to test the build locally

Create a folder into project root, like .testserver (name should starts w a dot - it wont hanles w Meteor). Place single js file starting express

// .testserver/index.js
var express = require('express');
var app = express();
var path = require('path')

var rootDir = path.join(__dirname, '../.build');
var indexFile = path.join(rootDir, 'index.html');

app.use(express.static(rootDir));

app.get('/', function(req, res) {
    res.sendFile(indexFile);
});

app.listen(4000, function () {
  console.log('Test server listen on localhost:4000');
});

so next modify your package.json like

{
  "name": "xxx",
  "private": true,
  "version": "0.0.9",
  "main": "index.js",
  "scripts": {
    "start": "meteor run --settings settings.json",
    "build": "meteor-build-client .build -p \"\" -s settings.json",
    "client": "node ./.testserver/main.js",
    "test": "npm run build && npm run client"
  },
  "dependencies": {
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "express": "^4.13.4"
  }
}

for now npm run build builds ur app, npm run client runs last build with express

Hi! Thank you so much for your answer! Yes that was exactly the problem, now I can check it is working properly :slight_smile: