Helper driving me nuts

I have a small issue…

Simple Blaze template wich contains a modal form to add an entry into a collection.

All fine, working as it should, except for one thing, that I would like to load values from a collection into a select field. I have subscribed to the collection in my template helper. Now, the helper works, as it gets data IF i place the helper everywhere on my modal EXCEPT withing the HTML select tag…

Not working, but i try to achieve:

<div id="addModal" class="modal">
  <div class="modal-content">
     <form class="add-ci-form">
      <div class=" input-field">
         <select>
             {{#each clients}}
            <option value="{{client}}">{{client}}</option>
            {{/each}}
        </select>
      </div>
    </form>
  </div>
</div>

Placing the {{#each}} like this renders the clients collection data perfectly withing the div.

<div id="addModal" class="modal">
  <div class="modal-content">
     <form class="add-ci-form">
      <div class=" input-field">
          {{#each clients}}{{client}}{{/each}}
         <select>
             {{#each clients}}
            {{/each}}
        </select>
      </div>
    </form>
  </div>
</div>

So, it seems that doing this within the HTML tag of select is the problem…or I am stupid, or there is something else going on. I have other selects in the same form with manual values, and they work. Letting my helper return an array of values instead of a collecton works as well.

Using Meteor 1.7 with Materialize:Materialize.

Does each item within clients have a field called client? Currently the #each helper is iterating through all clients and within its body you are accessing the client field on each one.

If clients is an array of strings, you would need to provide the name of the iterator explicitly:

<select>
  {{#each client in clients}}
  {{/each}}
</select>

Is it because the select element needs a name attribute?
It could be that Blaze is being strict about what attributes a select field needs but I’m not sure

Tried with the following, but still the same issue.

So name attribute did not do the trick

<select name="cliselect">
  {{#each client in clients}}
  {{/each}}
</select>

And yes, there is a client field. As mentioned above, putting the template helper outside of select tag returns correct data