This is your chance to work with the next generation web-based simulation game for business courses in higher education (mouthful)!
For a decade we have toiled alone, and finally the time to expand has come. A position has opened up in our exclusive developer ensemble, just for you! As the third musketeer, you’ll be adding a whopping 50% coding power to our capacity of 2, which entails both great power and great responsibility. We hope you genuinely enjoy delivering awesome solutions and iterating on them, with strong ownership over features, in collaboration with fantastic co-workers (promise), because that’s what you’ll do here.
While we are a small dev team, we have good backing from the product team and a wider ecosystem of experts in everything from accessibility to security and design at Sage (our parent company), as well as strong support and sales teams. Down the road we will also continue to expand the dev team.
Our stack is React + Meteor/Node, (mostly) all Typescript, running on AWS, with Cypress tests. We’re Linux people, but you can be of a different persuasion if you have a good argument for it. We are pragmatic when it comes to development, meaning we want the minimum viable process that everyone is happy with, without needing to label it strictly. Let’s dispense with the buzzwords and do good, reliable work.
Full stack development on the simulation platform, in feature / simulation development and bug fixing. We’ll see what areas you like and have you work on that. Examples include:
- New business simulations in related fields
- Existing game features and balance
- Exercise and event framework to enhance learning and engagement
- Back end to improve performance and stability
- Integrations to learning management systems or the sales team
- Write end-to-end tests for features you make, and unit-tests where they are necessary.
- 3rd level technical support when one of us has done something terribly wrong.
- Review PRs from the team, to keep us in line
- 5+ years background in programming
- Strong working knowledge of Node/JS/TS/Meteor/React, but a quick study can make up the difference if you know other, related technologies/frameworks.
- Strong interest in, or knowledge of, business/finance/marketing subjects? You’re on our shortlist.
- Loves working collaboratively, receiving and giving constructive feedback.
- A degree in computer science or equivalent is not necessary, but nice of course.
- Works and thinks independently but communicates and asks when problems and questions arise.
- Sees the business and customer value in the work you do.
- Reads this carefully and painstakingly crafted job description and provides a cover letter that demonstrates this.
Benefits and Perks for employees (UK / Norway primarily, some may apply as a permanent contractor):
- Free accounting books! Hooray
- Remote! With the option of going to the office if you live close to one of our offices
- Julebord in Norway once a year (look it up!)
- 25 days holiday excluding bank holidays full-time/pro-rated for part-time roles
- 2 additional ’floating days’ of personal leave, in recognition that each of us has cultural, religious, or family commitments that fall at times when the company is not closed.
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Tuition scheme and support for pursuing professional qualifications
- Home working allowance
- Travel Insurance
- Healthy lifestyle reimbursement
- Access to the company doctor (UK)
- Access to Company loans (season ticket loan, rental deposit loan, cycle loan)
- Benefits can vary depending on your location and working arrangement.
We have offices in Oslo and London, but remote is fine if you’re in the EU or Eastern US time zones.
Submit your resume, cover letter and link to any relevant work if you have it to the email address:
and we can take it from there. We do this the old fashioned way. Minimum BS.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You’ve heard all this before right, but we actually mean it.
About the company, Hubro Education / Sage publishing
Hubro Education is based in Norway and has been making simulation games for business and marketing education for 10 years. were recently acquired by Sage Publishing, so we could reach a worldwide audience of college- and university level students in business courses. We deliver the best solutions (won prizes actually) for fun, interactive learning to a field that is not known for being either.
Founded in 1965, Sage Publishing is a global academic publisher dedicated to disseminating high-quality, accessible knowledge. With a focus on social sciences, Sage provides a range of publications including scholarly journals, books, and electronic media. Sage Publishing operates as an independent, privately-owned company. Being privately held allows Sage to maintain a steadfast focus on its mission and values, providing a stable platform for producing and distributing scholarly work without the pressures typically associated with publicly traded companies.