Hosting meteor in germany?

I’m just wondering why you choose between US companies (IBM, Amazon) when you need a “Hosted in Germany” stamp on your side? Due to Snowden, US companies are not trustful and seem not to take much care about privacy laws in other countries. So for me it would be a joke if I see such a stamp on a site, while knowing that the hosting company isn’t German itself.

In our case we deploy some apps to VPS systems from Hetzner (we are using PM2 and a bash script to deploy the app).

1 Like

Ideally you want your server and database to be in the same data center to reduce latency.

1 Like

Hosting db in same region as galaxy makes more sense than doing one in dublin and one in frankfurt.

That being said I would also be interested if MDG is planning to setup a aws-central (Frankfurt) region …Europeans, especially germans are unfortunately very sensitive to these kind of issue.

@rohit2b any plans regarding this?

1 Like

@XTA: Yeah that exactly what I think. But being a one-man-show, what are the options? I need a quick solution to finally test my product and (hopefully) start earning some money with it.

Do you think you can share your script and give some insights on how you do it? I own a Hetzner myself and those machines are really powerful and for 50€ a month you get a full server. BUT it still needs to be scalable and this is where galaxy || heroku come in.

Right now my tendency is to go with a “hosted in EU”-logo (better than nothing) and with galaxy, hosting BOTH mongo & meteor in ireland. I guess I’ll still spend a couple on days on getting this to work, but we are talking days here and not weeks… hopefully…

My thesis is that I’ll loose customers without a “hosted in germany”, because over here people&companies are pretty SNOWDEN-aware… and those stickers are everywhere :slight_smile:

It’s not that easy. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

But you might want to take a look at a recent court issue to see how some big companies stand on that… some of them do not simply roll over and play dead.

Which means that if you want to use Azure in Germany, there are indeed options which are not and never will be subject to US laws (by means of Deutsche Telekom).

Yeah, I’ve read that article. The case is about a drug investigation, but what about business espionage? I don’t think that the US government (and their secret services) would give up such laws that enable them access to private data in foreign countries (“Fu** the EU”). It’s the US, if it’s in their own interest, they seem to not care about laws in other countries. So if need to host sensitive data of my company, I wouldn’t choose a US company, even if they host their servers in Germany itself. But this is only my personal point of view. I guess foreign secret services could also access data of your German hosting provider. So at the end of the day, it may not play a big role if you choose a German or US company.

@thebarty We’ve used this script as template, it fits our needs: https://github.com/ramezrafla/meteor-deployment
But if you really use rich features like auto scaling, you may want to use a provider like Heroku or Galaxy.

Hi @shibbn - we just launched AWS Sydney as our newest region. We’ll be focussed on growing that in the near term future.

We’ll look to expand regions in the longer term future, and will keep AWS-central (Frankfurt) in mind for that!

1 Like

How many concurrent clients will your app have? I deployed a meteor-mongo-react at Hosteurope in Germany on a virtual server. Works quite well so far.

@jomaar: it needs to be scalable thats the main point. I’ll probably start with 100 users (maybe 20% concurrent = 20), but it might go up to 2000 or even more (20% concurrent = 400). My priority is NOT having to worry worry about scaling, so the thing with a self-hosted VPS is the problems coming when it runs out of CPU, right?

How many concurrend users do you have on your machine? How do you monitor them?

By the way: this is the BEST resource I have found concerning mongo-hosting: https://meteoruniversity.org/meteor-mongodb-hosting/

@maxhodges: do you use a different mongo in your staging dyno?

Edit: I am just trying out mongo atlas and it DOES support frankfurt. So I guess I should try out heroku frankfurt… damn: I’d love to go with galaxy instead

@maxhodges: Can you share how you manage SEO prerendering meta/titles in your app? I read about some problems using phantomjs on heroku… have you figured something out? All I want is the SEO part to work

I use Hetzner and mupx_letsencrypt for 5-6 Meteor applications. I like Hetzner, reasonably cheap and no nonsense. For €5/months you get a virtual machine that is great for testing

plus one for hetzner servers!

I mean - hardware-wise you are getting a BEAST here:

32 GB DDR3 RAM
2 x 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s SSD     (Software-RAID 1)
Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (Quad-Core Haswell)

for 60€ a month… that would probably do it for starting up and the first 1000 concurrent connections??

I got my first deployment running on GALAXY with a Compact PRO container (512 MB/0.5 ECU for 40$) with atlas (70$ per month)… prices are starting to add up… I am at 110$ per month…

Can you give some hints on those questions:

1. how do you backup the system with hetzner (I need 24 hour database backup)? Did you ever encounter the worst case scenario and having to rollback?
  2. how do you handle prerendering without galaxy? Can you recon some packages?
  3. how many concurrent users do you handle with what hetzner hardware?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

You can use Orion Hosting