How can I possibly trust Meteor for real development work!

More like you buy a guitar, learn a lot with it and then suddenly it falls apart!!

As for Meteor being 'completely s**t, well of course it isn’t, if you are not using Windows or are using windows but have not upgraded.

1 Like

Fair point, but as MDG did bring out a Windows version and now a upgraded Windows version that for many people does not work, it is also rather pointless.

1 Like

Just stay with linux as long as you can, period. I also assume that you have been doing development on your computer and that is another thing you must to get rid of - when developing a cloud app you always want to know how it translates over the web as when developing on your local computer bits are just bounced around inside your computer.

Microsoft should be avoid as long you can avoid it.

Here’s a counter example. We use Meteor for real development IN Windows using Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code. We’ve never have any real issues (other than clearing npm cache) and keep up w/the latest Meteor, Mantra, Space Kitty, & React.

5 Likes

Ever written software?

Oh, and… is Windows… done? or bug free?

cough

I bet he had autoupdate problem.
Whenever recommended version updates i cannot run development as long as i didn’t track the update.

By the way it failed me a lot on my laptop(meteor-tools download lasts for an hour, what a joke…),
So, currently I disabled autoupdate on laptop in order to prevent confusion.
I suppose it isn’t a case when Meteor updates are not as frequent as 1.3.4

Production builds are not affected by these updates anyway.

Yes I have written software but quite a few years ago now.

Is Linux or MAC done and bug free? I think not! :slight_smile:

You have a point and when you strip it all down and roll-your-own you have maybe a better place to move forward from.
Did you try a different user account too? Not a good solution just to understand what happened.
You can run Ubuntu 14+ through a VM on Windows that mounts your local file system and then still have access to your windows dev tools like WebStorm or what-have-you. Then you have the best of both worlds.
What is your new solution?
Where is the meteor bug thread? Maybe too late for that I know.
The real point is maybe you can just use socket.io as a starting point (as have I) especially now AWS has released EFS, so at least for me my world has changed but am in debt to the vision and leassons of MDG.
I think you probably need a tool and community like Meteor if you’re unable to solve this sort of thing in a reasonable time (it sounds like your windows is possibly corrupted) and I’m unaware of a better Group to work with. Try the VM route it will be fine.