How could I benefit from making my project open source?

I have a HR system that I built entirely form ground up with meteor and blaze.

The project as a SAAS did not get the desired revenues as expected, so I’m thinking of uploading it to github and make it open source.

What do you think guys, how would I benefit from making it open source? What would be considered as a good strategy do that?

What do you consider a benefit? Imrpoving skills? Boosting career? Transform your business model to open-source-centered? I mean you would benefit in all three areas but I don’t know in which you are the most interested in?

Also there is the question, if it was the software that lead to failure in revenue or rather the business model (mismatch in value proposition, failed marketing, wrong time/place of market entry etc…)?

2 Likes

Thanks for replying.

I expect to have some financial returns on my efforts and long nights that I spent building this software. This is the ultimate benefit for me at the moment.

As for your second question, honestly the reason is poor marketing, it’s personal efforts and limited budget and I couldn’t reach out to my traget segments.

Not all the projects can be open sourced successfully either, the other question is how does the community benefit from your tech and how can they integrate it with other tech.

There are a lot of benefits if your open source project get traction both financial and personal although this is more long-term than commercial financial return I think.

Maybe you could think about creating an API of all the functions? The API economy seems to be growing at the moment - see https://www.programmableweb.com/category/all/apis?keyword=hr

Something to think about.
Good luck!

1 Like

There are a lot of benefits if your open source project get traction both financial and personal although this is more long-term than commercial financial return I think.

Could you please provide some links that demonstrate?

Defiantly will consider it. Thanks for the tip

Financial will be very difficult, but maybe more importantly: you can benefit from the idea all those nights might at least served sombody with something
I was on the same point some years back, and considered the same thing. I remember thinking: it might not pay me, but at least something came out of it…
(Project turned around, and made some monies after all, but…)

1 Like

Haha! No probs!
Although I know you meant to say “Definitely”, “defiantly” works too!
:smile:

Lol! Yes I meant “definitely”.
That is the cost of using the mobile in gym :joy:

1 Like