How do I debug 3rd party packages in Webstorm?

I’ve set a bunch of breakpoints in

.meteor\local\build\programs\web.browser\packages\accounts-base.js

So far so good, but when WebStorm hits the breakpoint, instead of the actual breakpoint, it breaks at url_client.js at the line

<script type="text/javascript" src="/packages/underscore.js?0a80a8623e1b40b5df5a05582f288ddd586eaa18"></script>

Why does it break in javascript that looks like HTML, and what’s to be done about it? Guess something’s wrong with my sourcemaps? And how does one debug 3rd party packages?

The IDEA debugger—as with a lot of the platform’s other functionality—leaves something to be desired. Don’t get me wrong, I love PHPStorm (which has all of WebStorm baked-in) but It’s not a very good JS IDE imho. You can’t do remote debugging for meteor which makes me sad :frowning: Spent a lot of time trying to get that to work, a lot of time. So, in the end up I started using node-inspector, which is even less fun. However, it definitely lets me debug external meteor packages, even when I’m doing so remotely, even when the code is being executed by the server. I’m sure there’s a way to setup PHPStorm/whatever, but unless someone else can give you the quick answer I definitely recommend just using node-inspector to debug when necessary—the IDEA debugger will probably be a little more convenient if you just have to do something quick though.

PS:
If anyone has a(some) good atom or SublimeText config file(s) that they’ve found to work well for them whilst developing with meteor, I’d really appreciate it if ya shared it. I’ve been wanting to try out both of them (not just toying around with it) for a long time. But I’m just to busy/lazy to set up an entirely new config; they don’t really come out-of-the-box with an ideal setup.

1 Like

I added an issue for debugging packages in Webstorm last April and it still hasn’t been fixed:

https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-16337

1 Like