How do mobile apps handle the 1.5-1.6 upgrade

Hi,

We have a meteor app this used with browsers, as well as android and iOS apps. How will the mobile apps behave after 1.5 -> 1.6 upgrade if the mobile app was built with meteor 1.5? Do I need to build and release new versions of the mobile apps, or will they sync up?

So far, updates to the application itself have been handled splendidly in the mobile apps, but I’ve never upgraded a major meteor version.

Thanks,
Cliff

I went ahead and tried it. Seems like the mobile app still works, but does not hot code push to the latest version on server. I’ll try to deploy a new app store version of the mobile app and see if hot code push works after that.

1 Like

I have been on 1.6 since beta while developing a mobile app. Been working fine. Not sure If at one point hot code push did not work (since I regularly have to update the app anyway on my iphone to renew the certificate). But as of now hot code push is working. So I guess you should be fine once you updated the app to 1.6

Thanks for the data point – our app still has not updated here on Android or iOS.

Does anyone have pointers/ideas on debugging hot code push?

hot code push works again once I installed an updated app based on meteor 1.6 from the app store. Overall, its been a great experience. Apps based on old meteor still worked fine. It seems reasonable to require users to update their app when we jump meteor versions, and then hot code push works again.

1 Like

also noticed this in the documentation:

In order to avoid a situation where JavaScript code that relies on changed native code is pushed to a client, we calculate a compatibility version hash from the Cordova platform and plugin versions, and only download a new version to a device when there is an exact match. This means any change to the list of plugins, or updating to a Meteor release which contains a new platform version, will block hot code push to existing mobile clients until the app has been updated from the store.

1 Like