2. What is your previous programming experience if applicable? PHP
  3. How long did it take you to master Meteor? 4 YEARS

I love Meteor more and more as time goes on. #Discuss

2 Likes
  1. Easy
  2. None
  3. 1 year (But define Master).
1 Like

Same as @raphaelarias. Meteor was straight forward to pick up for me, I started with Blaze Most of learning was in React and other third party packages/frameworks. Before Meteor I was using Java, GWT, spring etc.

1. How hard was Meteor for your? easy
  2. What is your previous programming experience if applicable? ruby/js/react/
  3. How long did it take you to master Meteor? I don’t think “master” is the correct word. I find meteor’s just a build tool + a few APIs for the transport layer. I was comfortable using it after a week or so
1 Like
  1. How hard was Meteor for your? Moderate Difficulty (I was a new web developer at the time and it took me a minute to get used to the meteor way of doing things, Where in ASP.Net you are setting up controller actions and a route table to access data that is server side, and using the Razor View Engine to generate a server side response to requests there isnt any of that in Meteor. So at first i was a little off my game)
  2. What is your previous programming experience if applicable? C#/SQL Server in the Healthcare Domain
  3. How long did it take you to master Meteor? I dont think I have mastered it yet haha, but I know way more than when i started. About a whole host of things, like Blaze, Vue, React, CSS, HTML5 APIs, real time applications, MongoDB, etc. It has been really fun for me to. that’s why I keep working with it I suppose :slight_smile:
  1. Hard to say looking back. Once I got into it, it was easy. Coming from MVC it was harder to get my head around the new pattern. It felt… way too easy.
  2. PHP
  3. 2 years at most, though sometimes I find new things that surprise me or I learn more about things related to Meteor, like MongoDB, packages, etc.

I decided to do my master’s project in Meteor so I had no choice, but to master Meteor in two years in order to succeed, but that also included other JS technologies as well, most notable in the middle of it React and transferring everything I have done so far to React.

1. How hard was Meteor for your?
    Relatively easy as I had a lot of previous JS and various JS framework experience. Probably the most difficult thing in early Meteor was learning how to handle corner cases.

2. What is your previous programming experience if applicable?
    Lots of and lots of JavaScript, PHP based CMSs some various random things.

3. How long did it take you to master Meteor?
    Not sure if I am a master at it, it is my go to platform for most things, I have built sever apps in it mobile and browser based. However I have never myself written a plugin for it or extended it in anyway because I have never found a need for it where these things already existed.

1. How hard was Meteor for you?

Quite easy. Back in February 2015, within a couple of hours I had installed meteor, played with the todos tutorial and converted mostly the CSS to have a working prototype of my in/out board to show to my colleagues at work. Within a week or so we were using my app (hosted for free on *.meteor.com) at my place of work. Then it took a while to convert that into a fully multi-tenanted SAAS product, released Jan 2017 (working only in my spare time though).

1. What is your previous programming experience if applicable?

Many years of PHP, JS, CSS, SQL, C, C++, Python, BBC Basic (yay!), Visual Basic, Matlab.

1. How long did it take you to master Meteor?

The basics can be mastered in few days: optimistic UI, pub/sub, user accounts, methods. Meteor makes all that really easy. Later came Cordova apps, and again meteor made that quite easy too. Then came converting to React to achieve SSR. Later came converting to Vue because I find it much nicer to work with than React. Finally I’ve had some time to play under the hood to make some performance improvements. Still wouldn’t say I’m a master though. I’ve submitted a few bug reports to core, but never a PR (although I have offered).

I’ve started off a few other app over the years and with my Meteor/Vue/Cordova boilerplate I can get a new app up and running in no time.

1 Like
  1. How hard was Meteor for you?
    I was doing the learning curves simultaneously for Javascript/React/Apollo/Meteor. And I started with Apollo before there were docs and the API was still changing. The toughest part for me was understanding Javascript and how Apollo interfaced with it – there were some things in Javascript that I hadn’t encountered before.

2. What is your previous programming experience if applicable?
    Objective C/PHP/jQuery.

3. How long did it take you to master Meteor?
    Meteor in and of itself didn’t take much getting used to – the build engine just seems to figure most things out on its own. :slight_smile: I probably saved quite a few months by using Meteor rather than doing the learning curve for Webpack.

1. Easy, though i ran into some roadblocks as i used it more.
    I presented a demo I wrote to the exec where I worked 3 weeks after I started, which convinced them to move from Drupal to Meteor.
  2. PHP, C++, C, Pascal, Assembly, Basic. (professional programmer since the 80s)
  3. 6 months
2 Likes