How to get a better understanding of Meteor?

I was wondering what would you guys recommend/have done to get a better understanding of.Meteor? I have completed The" Your first meteor.application" book as we as the second one. I got the concepts easily.in the first book but the second kind of strained my brain abit. How should I go about learning the concepts as well as the actual code to implement them better as well as move ahead of them once I get them?

Comb over the meteor chef’s blog!

1 Like

From Meteor Newbie to Meteor Master in 5 Easy Steps
(lame marketing title intentional :slight_smile: )

Step 1: Run through the Simple To Do app tutorial using your view tech of choice (Blaze, React, Angular).

Step 2: Read Discover Meteor. Yes it’s a bit dated now, but it’s still hands down the best written intro to Meteor book out there. Large parts of the book are still quite relevant. When you’re done reading the book you should check out the author’s A Study Plan For Meteor 1.3 post (which discusses a lot of the items that have changed since the book was published).

Step 3: Clone a copy of the Meteor Guide’s reference todos app (Blaze is in master, React is in the react branch), and get it running. Then read through everything in the Meteor Guide making sure you refer back to the todos app to see how all of the pieces fit together.

Step 4: Read, re-read, then re-read again all BulletProof Meteor content. This will really take your Meteor knowledge to the next level.

Step 5: This is the future proofing step. Head over to Apollo’s site and start to ramp up on everything there. This is Meteor’s future data stack, so ramping up on it will be essential in the next coming months/years.

All of the above being said, hands down the best way to increase your Meteor knowledge is to dig in and get your hands dirty immediately. Don’t wait until you think you’ve built up enough knowledge to get started - start coding now. All of the pieces will start to fall into place amazingly quickly.

2 Likes

A simple project which I’ve found pretty comprehensive. I use this in my own tutorial when teaching people.

Phase 1 - Adding basic CRUD operations and publications

• View a list of movies
  • Create and remove movies from this list
  • Clicking on a movie title should go to a page with its description.

Phase 2 - data validation

• Movies should only have the following fields: title, posterUrl, and description
  • title cannot be longer than 30 characters and can only contain numbers and letters
  • description is optional, but if provided, must be at least 20 characters, and must be less than 500 characters

Phase 3 - Adding accounts and account actions

• Add social login and password login
  • Logged in users can now leave comments on movies on the bio page.

Phase 4 - Adding permissions, roles, and security

• Add two roles: admin and registered
  • Only admins can create or delete movies
  • Admins can ban users – banned users will no longer be able to log in to the site. (via Accounts.registerLoginAttempt).

Phase 5 - Account personalization and account types

• Add a special role for reviewers, who may leave reviews on movies. These will appear before user comments on a movie.
  • Registered users can now save favorite movies
  • User profiles will now show their comments on movies, viewed movies, and favorited movies.

Phase 6 - integration with third party service.

• Get the rotten tomatoes rating for each movie on it’s movie page.
3 Likes